Fon"dint" Or Fon"dawnt"???

Decorating By 3GCakes Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 3:16am by BCo

kccinderella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kccinderella Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:34pm
post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I have people ask me if I do "fonda". First of all, I don't know Fonda. Secondly, if I knew her I wouldn't "do" her.

icon_lol.gif

That was funny!

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:45pm
post #32 of 64
Quote:

I have people ask me if I do "fonda". First of all, I don't know Fonda. Secondly, if I knew her I wouldn't "do" her.

icon_lol.gif

April- That was too funny! First time I've had a good laugh on here in a while!

lamariposa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lamariposa Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:07pm
post #33 of 64

I had a lady that called it "fondue" the other day. Oh, well!! I say "fahndent". I heard a couple of artists of FN challenge say "dahnt". To each his own, I reckon'.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:38pm
post #34 of 64

i'm a dint kinda girl (i think... because i sat here for a while saying it trying to figure out how i said it icon_confused.gif and it just started sounding weird lol) but what's the difference between "dawnt" and "dahnt" is "dahnt" supposed to be like "d - ant"? the "fawn-dawnt" pronounciation just bothers me!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:57pm
post #35 of 64

I knew I was Southern, but apparently more than I thought. After saying to myself a few times (thankfully I'm alone icon_smile.gif ), I say fawn-dunt. LOL

Great thread.

Michele

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:10pm
post #36 of 64
Quote:

icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

L_Collins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
L_Collins Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:22pm
post #37 of 64

I think it depends on if and where you went to pastry school. That one guy on Challenge says 'dawnt.' Everyone else says 'dint.'

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:35pm
post #38 of 64

I think I can speak for most Aussies icon_wink.gif on this....we say fond ant as in the little insect bug thingys icon_biggrin.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:48pm
post #39 of 64

LOL Jules...I was saying it to myself here too thinking it was most like "fon-d'nt".

Even though it is a French word in origin, you would be very hard-pressed to hear any Aussie pronouncing it in the French manner (and I tend to always pronounce foreign words as originally intended)...for some reason fondant is just "fon-d'nt".

icon_smile.gif

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #40 of 64

I say fond "dawnt" but my Wilton Fondant and Gumpast instructor said fon"dint".

Oh....I don't know icon_confused.gif As long as it taste good icon_wink.gif

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:42am
post #41 of 64

icon_lol.gif
Evoir - you are right fond'nt I didn't know how to write it the way I say it !

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:02pm
post #42 of 64

I have to chuckle when clients come in and say fawn-dawnt...I think they are trying to put on airs.....whatever, I am a fon-dent girl.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:16pm
post #43 of 64

Is Fonda available? Because I know someone...

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:29pm
post #44 of 64

Can we just nix the whole thing and just say rolled icing or sugar dough? I don't think there will ever be a universally agreed upon way to pronounce fondant. Something about listening to a person(like mua) with no accent whatsoever saying one frenchie tweeked out word in the middle of a conversation that hits the middle ear like an assult. It just sounds funky. LOL

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:46pm
post #45 of 64

This is hillarious....I have been laughing out loud and my daughter keeps asking me..."what's so funny?" "It's just cake central honey"

I am a Fon "dint" girl...I don't know if I really pronounce that "i" though...and the other night when we watched Cake Boss my husband was surely getting such a kick out of how Buddy was pronouncing it...every time Buddy said it, my honey then repeated it....just like him...(I think his pronunciation is for ratings!!! hahahaha)

If feel snobbish when I pronounce it in the "French" way....

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #46 of 64

It's all fon-dahnt as far as I'm concerned. It may be my Boston accent...

I find it funny that someone said they felt 'snobbish' pronouncing it in "my" way. Because that's how I feel about saying fon-dint! heheheh

OP, great thread. Hilarious!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:57pm
post #47 of 64

I'm from East Texas and I say fon dunt!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:35pm
post #48 of 64

I say fon"dint" but I always hear other people like Buddy say "fon"dawnt". But I listen to most of the people on food network let Mary Maher and Browen and Michelle and they say fon"dint". So I decided a long time ago that that's what I'm going with.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:52pm
post #49 of 64

I'm wondering if we should ask Kerry Vincent which way she prefers. Maybe she gives extra points for a certain pronunciation.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:54pm
post #50 of 64

Course after the way my fon"dint" treated me today, I call it s*#t on a shingle.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 7:11pm
post #51 of 64

Maybe in my past life I lived in Australia, actually my great great great grandfather was one of the first people to live in Australia , If you know what I mean tapedshut.gif hahhaah

I say Fond'nt ... Kinda like I say Mount'n ... and Fixin to ..

I grew up in California , lived in Pennsylvania , Florida , and North Carolina and my accent has always been different than any where I lived. icon_confused.gif Maybe I am channeling great gramps ... hahahhahahahhahah icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm
post #52 of 64

fondint - Northern Ireland Accent ...... Fondawnt is for posh people - lol

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:11am
post #53 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

Course after the way my fon"dint" treated me today, I call it s*#t on a shingle.

Holy smokes, batman. I just woke up DH laughing.

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:47pm
post #54 of 64

This has to be one of the funniest threads in a long time. Thanks for the laugh. I say "fawn-dunt" - don't think that will ever change.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:00pm
post #55 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermommy4

Quote:

icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I cannot for the life of me get my DH not to say that, no matter how many times I correct him, finally he just says "you know that rolled out stuff". I'm in Texas and I say "Fawn-Dnt". Somehow I say the last part without a single vowel.

This is the funniest thing I've read in a while. Thanks for the laugh folks.

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm
post #56 of 64

Here in Tulsa OK, I say "fondunt".

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:48pm
post #57 of 64

Neither - fon 'dunt'!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:21am
post #58 of 64

This thread is hilarious!! It's funny to see all the pronunciations. I agree Buddy's is a version I'd never heard before!

I was a french major in college. Even so, I can't bring myself to pronounce fondant in the correct French way in normal conversation. If I were speaking french, then yes... it would be fonh-danh. But I don't go around saying "rest-aur-anh" or "so-tay" either!! icon_lol.gif

beachcakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:22am
post #59 of 64

This thread is hilarious!! It's funny to see all the pronunciations. I agree Buddy's is a version I'd never heard before!

I was a french major in college. Even so, I can't bring myself to pronounce fondant in the correct French way in normal conversation. If I were speaking french, then yes... it would be fonh-danh. But I don't go around saying "rest-aur-anh" or "so-tay" either!! icon_lol.gif

beachcakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:23am
post #60 of 64

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%