New Here And At A Loss.......fondant.......

Baking By happy1mom Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 12:45pm by kccinderella

happy1mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy1mom Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:30am
post #1 of 8

This is my first attempt at playing with mmf. I would like to use marshmallow fondant on cut out cookies. The problem is - how do I store them once completed? Can I place them in individual cellophane bags? Seems like the trapped moisture would make the fondant stick to the bags. (?) Thanks in advance for any input!

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #2 of 8

Let the MMF harden for a while, then you can store them in bags with no problem.

If you put the MMF on while the cookies are hot out of the oven, the heat of the cookie will melt the fondant just enough to glue it onto the cookie, and it will help it harden much faster.

happy1mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy1mom Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:44am
post #3 of 8

Thanks, Texas_Rose!

I used a little royal icing to make it "stick" - didn't know I could put them on warm cookies. I'll have to do that next time. I hate how the icing shows through - kind of lumpy around the edges!

I used Crisco to grease my countertop, but the mmf looks greasy. Will they stay that way?

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:48am
post #4 of 8

corn syrup works as a good glue on cooled cookies.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #5 of 8

I don't have much luck with the fondant sticking to the hot cookies. I tried it again recently and even put the cookies back in the oven for another 30 seconds or so to ensure that the fondant would stick. It did until i started decorating. Some stayed on. Other popped right off at the slightest touch.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:54am
post #6 of 8

I'm not sure about the Crisco...I roll my mmf on vinyl with just a tiny bit of cornstarch. I'm thinking the heat from the cookies might help get rid of the shiny look, but I'm just not sure. Usually shiny's not a bad thing on cookies though icon_biggrin.gif

The way I do cookies usually is to cut out the fondant shapes while the cookies are baking, or if it's going to be more than 6 cookies, I will cut the fondant shapes ahead of time. Then when the cookies come out of the oven, I loosen them with a spatula right away and then lay the fondant on top while they're still on the cookie sheet.

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:34am
post #7 of 8

I always cut my fondant before I cut my dough and right before the cookies come out of the oven, I spray the backs of the fondant shapes with vanilla syrup (like Torani brand) and then place them on the hot cookies. I think this gives it something wet and sticky to help adhere to the cookie and probably crystalizes a little from the heat to bond better. The cookies should be completely cool before packaging. I don't know much about moisture and humidity being trapped in the bags out here in the dry desert of AZ! But as long as they are cooled, it shouldn't be a problem. I do find that puting the cookies back into the oven after the icing is on helps dry the fondant, too.

kccinderella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kccinderella Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:45pm
post #8 of 8

My last cookie bouquet was NFSC w/MMF. Put MMF after cookies came out of the oven. You don't get a second chance to place the MMF on warm cookies. I bagged each cookie after they were completely cool (overnight). No moisture problems and the MMF doesn't move.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%