Cake Boss

Decorating By ninatat Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 6:46pm by mandysue

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all, i made my airplane cake, hmmm plane not to good i didn't have a pattern, sheet cake under it looked good, ok my sheet cake came out great popped right out of the pan, i needed to cut it in half because of the 2x2 4in base to hold the plane. i go to lift the 1/2 of the cake and it broke came apart, what a mess, i've seen cake boss just flip their cakes around without breaking, i know they use sponge cake alot, but it is moist as a regular cake, i use cake mixes and the duncan hines extra moist french vanilla is just wonderful i had it at a shower, is there a really good and moist box sponge cake. thanks all

8 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 9

I used to use box all the time and ran into the same problems - I started using the WASC recipe, or other extenders, and it's great! It's heavier like a pound cake, but you can add a little baking powder to "lighten" it up if you prefer, but it makes a much sturdier cake that you can handle cutting and moving around. To get other flavors, I just use whatever flavor cake mix I want and make minor adjustments like switching vanilla for other flavors, etc.

izzy1953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzy1953 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 9

I always freeze my larger cakes before handling them. It makes it so much easier and I never worry about them breaking. Also flipping them with cardboard cake boards - one on top - one on the bottom. I'm just learning myself so maybe someone else can help you more.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 9

Cakes that are large and require carving or stacking, I usually freeze. I have broken cakes myself when large and trying to stack them and I've found freezing works best for me. I'm sure there are many other ways it could be done, but this is my preference icon_smile.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 9

Yeah, I forget to remind people about the freezing thing - I haven't been able to do that since we moved to this duplex and have a tiny freezer - can't fit cakes in it!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

I used to use box all the time and ran into the same problems - I started using the WASC recipe, or other extenders, and it's great! It's heavier like a pound cake, but you can add a little baking powder to "lighten" it up if you prefer, but it makes a much sturdier cake that you can handle cutting and moving around. To get other flavors, I just use whatever flavor cake mix I want and make minor adjustments like switching vanilla for other flavors, etc.

I made my first WASC cake and found it really dense. How much baking powder do you add to make it lighter?

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 9

I just saw them flipping those cakes last night, I mean picking them up bare handed....the cakes are very thin sheets, JMO but how on earth can a cake that sturdy be moist. But they look great!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:48am
post #8 of 9

I know i can't figure it out, mine was fine but it stuck to the cutting board and i had to move it to another board, i'll freeze. Thanks all

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 9

Mmmm, I love DH French Vanilla! It's my go-to cake! But, when I make it, I sift the cake mix and then replace the water with buttermilk and add an extra egg. I use the same oil as the box says. These simple changes make a big difference. However, I think it defies logic that Cake Boss people can go around flipping whole sheet cakes without having them break! I never seem to be far enough ahead to freeze, but on the occassions that I have, I've found that it does make the cake easier to work with and more moist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%