Hershey's Kiss Rose

Decorating By yazzie82 Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 11:51pm by ninatat

yazzie82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yazzie82 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:56am
post #1 of 14

I have seen a lot of cakes on here that say they used a hershey's kiss as the base to make a rose. Can someone tell me or show me how to do this?

13 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:36am
post #2 of 14

I tried to make gumpaste roses with Kiss centers- they are way too big for the cutters I had. Several people wrote they use the Kisses for Buttercream roses. I haven't tried that yet, but think you would stick the Kiss onto the rose nail, then proceed with the 3-5-7 petals as usual.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:53am
post #3 of 14

I haven't tried them either, but I think the idea was that you would replace the tip 12 center with the hershey's kiss, providing a firmer base for the petals to be piped onto.

Linda, I just tried making gumpaste roses with a dum-dum lollipop as the center and it works pretty well icon_biggrin.gif I was using an 80mm 5 petal cutter.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 14

are you making a fondant rose or butter cream rose, i bought the hershey's kisses for butter cream and they will work, but for fondant, i think it would get to soft, working around the rose, i use the cone method for fondant and gum paste i use the middle circle cutter and about 10 pedals and two little for the tip. but of course i can't make a rose to save my life i bet i've made 150 now, my last practice i made my bc really thick, didn't help i just can't figure out what i'm doing i can't get the pedals to seperate, and i'm not giving up, but any info would help thanks

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

but of course i can't make a rose to save my life i bet i've made 150 now, my last practice i made my bc really thick, didn't help i just can't figure out what i'm doing i can't get the pedals to seperate, and i'm not giving up, but any info would help thanks

DITTO!!

I can't get the petals to separate either! It's like no matter how thick I make the BC, it goes mushy as soon as I start making the petals, and the center is always bending over when I do the middle. That's why I thought the Hershey's kiss method might be better, but I haven't tried it yet.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 14

Odd question, but how do you color the kiss to the color rose you are making?

yazzie82 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 14

I'm using buttercream

Kimmers971 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 14

Yazzie82: I meant you are using the kiss as the center of the rose, well that is chocolate so how are you coloring it to match your BC?

Thanks!

yazzie82 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers971

Yazzie82: I meant you are using the kiss as the center of the rose, well that is chocolate so how are you coloring it to match your BC?

Thanks!

I don't know i've never done this before. I've just seen pictures of other people's cake's on here that say they used a hershey's kiss for the base and it looks like it is covered because i don't see the hershey. Maybe i should PM one of them.

Littlebit0302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Littlebit0302 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:13pm
post #10 of 14

I have used the Hershey kiss as the cone base for the buttercream roses. I haven't tried it with the fondant or gumpaste flowers.

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:18pm
post #11 of 14

I started doing this a few years ago. For some reason, I can do just about anything decorating wise, except the dreaded rose! I stick the kiss on a flower nail with a touch of bc. Then go ahead like you would normally with the petals. You don't see the dark, but if you're worried about that, I guess you could use the "hugs" I think they're white and brown. Hoping that the white is at the top.
Good luck!

Kimmers971 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:19pm
post #12 of 14

I just found a picture of one and the kiss is completely covered in BC. I guess it is just used for stability and not to show. I'm going to have to try it.

yazzie82 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:21pm
post #13 of 14

i'm going to try it this weekend. it seems like a good idea

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:51pm
post #14 of 14

yes the kiss definetly sp gave stability, and when you watch on u-tube and in class you start on one side and make turn and go down to make the peak of the rose. i was turning the nail wrong and i found that in class she said counter clock wise and doing the rose twards you. my teacher said my frosting was to thin so she made it so thick i could hardly squeeze the bag, i did the same thing a couple nights ago at work but it kept breaking.ahhhhhhhhh, and out teacher made them really small. our next class starts on the 9 and we had to take 3 they didn't have one for july for class 2 and it's only $12.50 and we switched to Micheals, didn't care for the teacher at jo-anns. well anyway after i vacuum i'm going to try some more, hey have you tried using the tip with the wide side of the tip after the first twirl, some times it almost looks better lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%