Ugh... So Unsatisfied And Frustrated

Decorating By Rylan Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm by umgrzfn

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 48

I feel so depressed. I just finished my 4th fondant cake and I am not happy about it. The borders are not level, the stripes are not even and nothing is ever going to look like what I have in mind.

I made black fondant by mixing black gel to white fondant (didn't have time to order ready made black fondant). The consistency is so soft, it's just not right and difficult to put onto the cake. Now as you can see, my fondant work isn't going very well. I also think the ribbon tail looks so awful on the sides (I can't remove it anymore). The cake is also leaning a a bit. The flower looks odd, the leaves look weird and my black fondant started to crack.

Any suggestions what I can do next time? I really don't want this to happen. Here is the cake:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1398612

It's the newest in my photos.

47 replies
OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 48

To make black fondant, it's easier to start with chocolate fondant and just add a little black coloring. I didn't look at your pic - but just wanted to give you that piece of advice.

It all takes practice, don't give up. icon_smile.gif

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 48

I don't know which cake you are referring to, but the one I see in the picture looks great! I was expecting all of these very notable mistakes, and I don't.....You are always going to be your own worst critic.....The cake looks good!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 48

What are you talking about? We are our own worst critic. You did a wonderful job. Only we can see our imperfections and true sometimes what we invision does'nt always come out but if the client is happy that's what matter icon_smile.gif And did it taste good icon_biggrin.gif

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 48

I'd be thrilled to pieces if I made a cake that pretty! Maybe up close you can see the imperfections, but the picture does not reflect them.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 48

I agree with the other posters. When i opened the link i was totally expecting something totally different. The cake looks beautiful from what i can see. I love the brush embroidery and actually think you did a really nice job on the stripes. I've not tried them yet as i hear they are a challenge. One thing i did read was that someone suggested a poster use a laser level to put the stripes on. It helps you keep them all level. I thought it was a cool tip, but have yet the opportunity to try it. Keep your chin up, i think your work is beautiful.
Have you ever tried to shape the bow ribbons prior to applying to the cake? You could put some tissue underneath certain areas to give it more 'flow' and realism. Let it dry long enough to set and apply to the cake.

Rylan Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 48

Thanks everyone for the kind and positive words. It really made me feel a lot better.

Sweet cravings, thanks for the tips. The laser sounds like a great idea. I was going to give the ribbon some flow but unfortunately, I had only thought of the ribbon a few hours before I gave it to my dad and I was afraid that it might not hold it's shape (the ends did though).

Any suggestions on how I can make the consistency of soft black fondant to normal?

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:36pm
post #8 of 48

I'd be ecstatic if my fondant cakes looked that good! You truly are you're own worst critic.

It's beautiful work and I love the design!

OhMyGanache Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 48

Tylose powder will help stiffen up fondant that is too soft.

Mara4tK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mara4tK Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:56pm
post #10 of 48

You are insane!!! That cake is sooooo beautiful! icon_smile.gif You did a great job. The brush embroidery is wonderful!

Mara

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:02am
post #11 of 48

I agree with the others. I opened the link expecting something similar to those on Cake Wrecks. I thought it was beautiful. I love the style and colors. Keep your chin up, you can only get better.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:08am
post #12 of 48

oh heavens -- maybe, just maybe, my 400th fondant cake will look as good as that!

You are mad talented!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:10am
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

I feel so depressed. I just finished my 4th fondant cake and I am not happy about it. The borders are not level, the stripes are not even and nothing is ever going to look like what I have in mind.

OK, Rylan - don't be so hard on yourself...the cake looks GREAT! I don't see the flaws in the picture but we're always toughest on ourselves.

If someone asks for a black and white cake in the future, make sure you have ample time to either make chocolate MMF that can be colored black, or you have time to order black fondant. It can be quite difficult getting a nice black fondant without making the fondant too thin or sticky. I find that timing is everything in making cakes and if you don't have time to prepare your supplies and ingredients it can be a rough road.

Step back, take a breath, and look again at that lovely cake...you should be very proud of the great job you did! icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:12am
post #14 of 48

Rylan sweetie...you are completely nuts! I would be jumping for joy if my cake looked like that!

Rylan Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:07am
post #15 of 48

You all made me smile after all the troubles. THANKS EVERYONE.

In my experience, adding tylose to a really soft black fondant doesn't really help. It tends to have a bad consistency.

Btw, have anyone of experienced a different texture on colored fondant. It seems to look different. Especially when you add lots color. If so, does powdered food coloring work good in fondant?

OhMyGanache Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:15am
post #16 of 48
Quote:

In my experience, adding tylose to a really soft black fondant doesn't really help. It tends to have a bad consistency.

What kind of fondant are you using? Commercial or MMF?

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:35am
post #17 of 48

hheeelllloooo! You sound like me with one of my cakes sometimes lol
I don't see anything wrong at all with the cake. The lines look straight, the flower looks nice, the fondant is neat etc

It's a fantastic cake trust me!!

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:43am
post #18 of 48

I'm quite a newbie, and only use fondant for cut-outs...and I think your cake is just gorgeous!

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #19 of 48

Relax! Your cake is gorgeous! thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:29am
post #20 of 48

It's really very nice! You're too hard on yourself. I think what's bugging you about the bottom tier is that the white stripes stick out...it might have worked well to make black stripes and put them in between the white ones so that it was flat looking...but it really looks great the way it is.

Anyhow, about coloring fondant...I know you use Satin Ice so my answer will probably not be much use to you, but I have noticed that adding a lot of color does make the fondant a weird texture. Kind of crumbly, right? It seems to do it equally with americolor and wilton colors. What I do to get around that is add the color to the fondant when I add the water (making MMF) if I'm going to need a lot of one color. For some reason, doing it that way keeps it from getting weird. It's still hard to make black fondant, even doing it that way. Someone else suggested starting with chocolate, then you don't have to add as much black color. I've done that and it worked.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:32am
post #21 of 48

Your cake is perfect. It really is. I LOVE IT!

2SimplySweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SimplySweet Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:24am
post #22 of 48

I too think you did a beautiful job!!! Be proud!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:37am
post #23 of 48

Good heavens. I expected some awful looking thing, but that cake is lovely. Sure, it's not quite perfect, but overall, it looks gorgeous. And I say that with all sincerity. If I thought it looked bad, I wouldn't have said anything at all!!

I love the cake stand, too. Really, it's a great looking cake! Give yourself a break.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 7:18am
post #24 of 48

Another lovely cake Rylan! It looks so classy and so elegant.

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 7:25am
post #25 of 48

WOW! Seriously?? that's the cake you're talking about?? It's very pretty, and you say your fourth, Oh don't beat yourself up like that.

Rylan Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:31pm
post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

Quote:

What kind of fondant are you using? Commercial or MMF?

I use White Satin Ice. It will get crumbly when you add tylose to the tinted black fondant.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To everyone, THANKS for all the nice comments. I feel like maybe I'm just too hard on myself. Whenever I make cakes, there is always something I don't like about it.

Judi, maybe you are right. The black stripes would have been better plus I don't have to use a huge piece of fondant to cover the cake. Thanks for the advice.

Oh and if I use chocolate Satin Ice, will the consistency change if I add black food coloring?

How about the cracking fondant? Why does it start to crack? I've never had fondant crack. Is it because of too much food get coloring?

I wanted to make a new black and white cake and so I want the next one to have less problems or even better if I don't have any.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm
post #27 of 48

that cake is so elegant and classy, straight into my favourites as i hope to replicate it some day icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:33pm
post #28 of 48
Quote:

Any suggestions what I can do next time? I really don't want this to happen.

Ahhhh, I was all prepared not to blow smoke at ya and tell you what was up. But....I can't! Looks awesome! Fondant ribbon and getting it perfectly straight has always been a bugger for me. I think the longer you let it sit, meaning after you roll it out, the less it moves around on you, but then you comprimise pliability when wrapping it. But I do know the stiffer it is, the straighter it cuts. That's a sweet looking cake! thumbs_up.gif

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:43pm
post #29 of 48

no offense
but your off your rocker
that cake is gorgeous
id love to be able to do something like that

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:59pm
post #30 of 48

The day I can make that kind of masterpiece i'll be happy,it is beautiful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%