I just attempted my first poured ganache cake. I made it for my dad for fathers day so I'm not too stressed, but there were tiny chunks of chocolate chips that showed up on the cake. I microwaved the ganache in an attempt to remove the bits, but I guess that didn't work. Any thoughts?
I used 12 oz of choc. chips
8 oz of heavy cream
1 tbsp of butter
I have to make another ganache cake for a paying customer next week and I'd like to eliminate this problem before then. TIA for all of your help
I just keep stiring and stiring and stiring. really, the more you stir, the chips will slowly melt away. hth
This method is no fail for me:
Place the chips in a stainless steel bowl. Bring the cream to a boil. Immediately pour the cream over the chips and walk away. Do not stir. In five minute, return, and stir and stir and stir some more. Stir for a while after you think you've stirred enough.
If you did that and it didn't work, I don't have any ideas.
I'm with ziggytarheel: did you wait ample time for the chocolate chips to melt, before stirring? Also, I stir with a wire whisk. Option #2 is to chop your chocolate into smaller bits. If you are using choc chips, you could pop them in a cuisinart first. This should do the trick, especially since you are not using a 1:1 ratio--so the cream is probably having a hard time reaching all of that chocolate to melt it.
I agree with the whole gang here....pour your hot cream, let it sit, then go back and stir the pooh out of it. IF you still get lumps, do the microwave thing for 30 to 45 seconds, then again, stir it up like crazy, and it will smooth out......
poured ganache also works best if 1;1 ratio, but I do not think that was your problem. just sounds like it was not all melted.
Thanks for all of the tips. I will try the 1:1 ratio next time and see if I have better luck. I feel as though I waited a long time, but maybe I'm just not patient enough
Ive never had a problem like that. I always use the method of putting my chips in a pyrex bowl, boil the cream (or cream and butter), then pour it over the chocolate. I actually just stir it then, only because I never knew I was supposed to let it sit first. I never had a problem with chunks but I never use a microwave. Maybe your cream wasnt hot enough? At work they actually strain the ganache while it is still very hot to remove extra air or chunks. Mainly to remove air I believe. Sometimes we would get little bubbles in the finished product if they didnt sieve it. I never had this happen to me at home though so maybe it depends on the chocolate you use. Anyways sorry, point is maybe you can try a sieve next time if you are unsure.