Have You Ever Not Done A Wedding Cake Through Non-Payment?

Business By Bonnie151 Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 12:00pm by Bonnie151

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 26

OK, so I have a bride whose wedding is this coming Saturday (27 June). I've had her deposit but now her final payment is well overdue and she hasn't responded to e-mail or phone calls (no answering machine and has not been answering regardless of what time/day I've phoned).

I'm not going to start on the cake without payment but unless I hear from her and receive a cash payment by Tuesday it'll be too late! I've contacted the venue and the wedding is on...

Anyone ever have a "vanishing" bride and what did you do?? What if she phones me Friday asking about her cake?!?!?

25 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 26

She's in breach of contact. Talk to the venue again and ask if they have any luck reaching her.

You can either just not do her cake, or give her a break and write her, saying that if you don't receive cashola IN HAND by noon on Tuesday there will be no cake.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 26

you can tell her she didn't pay for the rest of the cake and didn't answer your calls or emails. did you have her sign a contract?

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 26

oh that's a bit scarry-i have a wedding coming in July and final payment is due next weekend. i am going to call her as a reminder so hopefully this situation doesn't happen. i would be sH**ing bricks!! on one hand i don't want to bake and decorate a cake that isn't paid in full but on the other hand i wouldn't want to disappoint my bride because she got caught up in the last minute details of the wedding (i guess that the cake is one of the farther things from her mind). is there other family members you could reach out to?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 26

Do you have a signed contract with a no refund clause? If so, then

Ka-Ching(think cash register)!!!

Indydebi just posted a thread about having a contract with a no refund on deposits clause. Take a look at her story. It is good advice, right about now.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 26

I recently had a situation with a bride that was overdue with her final payment too. She did not answer emails etc. I happened to know someone at the venue and left the message that if I didn't receive the final payment within 24 hrs, no cake. Surprisingly she suddenly figured out how to use the phone, calling in a panic. I had my payment within the 24 hrs. If I didn't, I would not have done the cake. My time is valuable too!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 26

Just had one myself. Wedding was this past Saturday (June 20th at 2:00). Client met with me on May 18th and picked out this huge cake with fountain and stairs--would hav served 242 guests--she only needed 150. Plus a 2-tiered groom's cake with strawberries. Paid deposit of $100. Final payment was due June 6th. Sent rerminder thru email with details for final clarification on June 1st. When I didn't get a response to email, I called the number I had--no answer.

Found another number and left a message. BTW--her recording was just the generic recording so I was not sure I had the right number. On Sunday, June 7th, left another message about wedding cake payment and that bride needed to get in touch with me if she still needed her cake. Or to at least let me know if I was calling the right number. Bride called me June 8th to tell me that she did not have all of her cake money and would I consider waiting until Friday, June 12th. I told her yes but it would have to be CASH ONLY.

On June 12th, no call about payment. Called that day and left message that I HAD to have cake payment no later than Saturday at 11:00 or contract was nulled. No call from bride. On Monday, June 15th, Bride sent email saying that she did not get her check on Friday or Saturday like she was expecting. Then she had the gall to send me her address to return her deposit. NOT GETTING IT!!!

Sorry so long but this one pissed me off. NO MONEY, NO CAKE!!! Plain and simple!!!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 26

The gall! You could have taken other orders!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 26

I just did a wedding cake yesterday. The bride was also late on getting me her final payment. Fortunately, I was able toget a hold of her and give her a deadline and she brought me cash the next day.

I think you should email and call with a message stating that if you do not hear from her by Tuesday morning by 10 am that you will no longer have availability to do the cake for her. I would also contact the venue again and tell them if they happen to speak with her to let her know she must contact you if they want a cake. That way you have covered every angle.

I would not bake anything until you have the rest of your money. I hate when this happens because sometimes I do not take as many other orders when I know I have a wedding cake. I like to take other cake orders to replace the cancelled ones.

I hope you hear from her soon!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:58pm
post #10 of 26

Also, let me just add that we, as cake decorators, should not have to work this hard about payment on cakes. They come to us and if they can't hold up their end of the contract, I am not breaking my back trying to get in touch with them again.

I feel that I went over and beyond on trying to help this bride get her "dream wedding cake". I do understand that sometimes, the time does get away from brides since there is so much to do in the last 2 weeks of a wedding...however, they need to put on their big girl panties and deal with being an adult and holding up contractual agreements or cancel so my time is freed up for others.

The glory of "champagne taste on a beer budget"!

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:58pm
post #11 of 26

No money - no cake .

Brides know they have a cake balance due - some use 'selective' memory. And like avoiding emails and phone calls magically makes the balance go away.

I just hope you had a contract. My contract states 'final payment due 14 days prior to the event and if NOT received all deposits and payments are non cash refundable. I'm a business and I don't have time to track down clients. They know my policy before they sign my contract and they also get a copy. I do send out a courtesy email about a week before the 14 day mark but that's it. The rest is on the client.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 7:15pm
post #12 of 26

Ive been getting a lot of the selective memory brides lately. They act like its news to them that they have a balance. And act annoyed that your asking for final payment. Or they try to change the subject when you ask them!!
Then I have the complete opposite, where they are too happy to pay you early and tip you before you even deliver their cake! I prefer them!icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 7:19pm
post #13 of 26

I haven't, but I would! I've had people take AGES making their initial deposit after signing their contracts, bot, so far all have come through with the final payment on time. I explain to them that many of the things used for their wedding cake will be imported, and I have to have a good 2 weeks to ensure that those supplies will be here in time. I definitely don't order stuff without full payment first! I also get 50% up front, and the only time that would be refundable would be if I cancelled the order for some reason!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 7:34pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellesArt

i wouldn't want to disappoint my bride because she got caught up in the last minute details of the wedding (i guess that the cake is one of the farther things from her mind).

Flakiness, pure and simple. A couple of reminders, and that's it!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 7:38pm
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

The gall! You could have taken other orders!

Thank you! I don't see this referred to often enough! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 7:44pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellesArt

...on the other hand i wouldn't want to disappoint my bride because she got caught up in the last minute details of the wedding (i guess that the cake is one of the farther things from her mind).

Sorry, but cake IS one of the details of the wedding - don't let anyone else tell you it's not important. The reason I say this is because if you are a no-show with the cake, she'll say her entire wedding was ruined and it was all your fault! icon_surprised.gif

Give her a jingle and just remind her. She may simply have forgotten the timeline on the final payment and needs a friendly reminder, or she could be one who's trying to get away with not paying until delivery...you just never know!

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 8:01pm
post #17 of 26

I think its buyers remorse in some, or a lot, of the cases...how do you forget you cake payment is due? The wedding cake is a huge tradition, or part, of the wedding, especially if you go out of your way to go to custom shop. You know you have to pay for that sucker and the $2000 is not falling from the tree you planted in hope of paying for your extravagant over the top affair.

I am curious if they pull these stunts with all the other vendors...Indy, or any other who cater or other wedding related things, do you get this a lot with the catering portion of your business or is this a "its just cake" thing?

Bonnie151 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 8:24pm
post #18 of 26

Thanks for all of the advice. I don't know anyone at the venue but if I can't reach her tomorrow I'll phone them again and ask them to pass a message to her if possible.

Re the contract. Yes, I have a standard contract that says when payment is due & if not paid the order will not be completed/deposit is non-refundable etc.

I'm figuring she's either hoping I'll deliver a cake without payment or has had second thoughts (the cake is approx $700) and is trying to cancel the order.

Urgh!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 9:39pm
post #19 of 26

I am curious if they pull these stunts with all the other vendors...Indy, or any other who cater or other wedding related things, do you get this a lot with the catering portion of your business or is this a "its just cake" thing?[/quote]

A good friend of mine is a wedding planner and offers many services(catering, floral, invitations, wedding cakes, linens etc.) She told me that many of her clients that did not order the cake from her can become flakey in the other services as well. She has a very specific contract to cover herself.

I think people can act this way in any situation that they still owe $$$.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 10:15pm
post #20 of 26

I think they do, well the one's that they think they can get away with anyway. Probably the florists has the same type of problems we do. Im sure the venues probably are the first to get paid. Because without them there is no wedding! But you see it on tv all the time where the couple plans this expensive wedding that they cant afford and are having their wedding planners go through their gift envelopes hoping they got enough to pay them off! Its just crazy! They shouldnt plan this expensive wedding if they cant afford it. Its really not about the party, its about the fact that you are spending the rest of your life with someone you love! I think they tend to forget that. They are too busy trying to out do the Jones!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:04am
post #21 of 26

I can only recall one time that I had to track down someone for payment, but it was a highschool prom and I was dealing with teenagers who didn't understand how this worked. She emails me a week before the event with questions on some changes she wanted. I flat out told her, "Yes, we can do that, but that's the least of your concerns. If I dont' have a check in here by tomorrow morning, you're not having any food at your prom." The advisor brought the check the next day.

My contract has, in bolded lettering, "Any payment not received as scheduled will constitute a cancellation on the part of the client and Cater It Simple will not show up at the event."

One time I had a "booked" wedding on the books, but no payment of any kind. SHe had called to book and said payment was in the mail. About a month before the wedding, I noticed there was no payment rec'd yet. I did 2 email follow ups and the 3rd one said "Due to lack of communication and no payment rec'd, CIS considers this event canceled." I never heard from her ... and I never showed up.

There are lots of stories on www.etiquettehell.com regarding brides who are frantically opening their envelopes so they can pay the vendors!

Bonnie151 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:09am
post #22 of 26

Well I MAY have success. I finally managed to get hold of her and she says she's going to come round this morning with payment in cash. Apparently she's been in the hospital having an operation. It'll sound horrible but I'm not sure if I believe her (she mucked me about cancelling 2 consultation appointments before finally showing up for one and I only took on the cake as the design will be fab for my website!), but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt if she appears at my door cash in hand within the next two hours...

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:39am
post #23 of 26

For a $700 cake a $100 deposit is not enough.

I get half at the time of the order and no refunds given.

I make them "invest" in their cake. Many may blow off a $100 deposit but when you start talking about $350 or more it makes a difference.

Payment in full is due a week before the event. I don't get it they get a phone call that if I don't hear from them or get final payment within 24 hours their order is cancelled and their deposit is mine.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 11:23am
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie151

OK, so I have a bride whose wedding is this coming Saturday (27 June). I've had her deposit but now her final payment is well overdue and she hasn't responded to e-mail or phone calls (no answering machine and has not been answering regardless of what time/day I've phoned).

I'm not going to start on the cake without payment but unless I hear from her and receive a cash payment by Tuesday it'll be too late! I've contacted the venue and the wedding is on...

Anyone ever have a "vanishing" bride and what did you do?? What if she phones me Friday asking about her cake?!?!?

yes, contracts are wonderful things!

We send out invoices, and this seems to avoid this problem. But two weeks before the wedding, when the payment is due, my DH calls them and leaves a message "you need to call us immediately regarding your wedding cake" He never mentions payment. They call in a panic usually thinking something is wrong with their cake. We explain to them that they need to pay for their cake and our policy is once they are late with payment, we only take cash or cc (no check) Usually we get the check within days. I have never had a cake not paid for a week of the wedding, as we really keep after these brides. A lot of times, they are so stressed, or they thought their mom had sent ina check, things like that.

Now I had to cancel a contract because the brides DEPOSIT bounced and she never sent in a replacement. (I gave her like two months) I dont fool around when it comes to getting paid! But I agree have a item about deposits in your contracts and payment statements!! (we have we will not accept payments at time of delivery, etc)

Bonnie151 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 11:39am
post #25 of 26

Oh look. It's no longer morning (12:38 to be exact) and there's no sign of her with her "envelope full of cash". I've decided that if she doesn't show up by the end of the day that I will send her another e-mail saying that unfortunately there is now not enough time to complete her order (not an exaggeration with the other orders I also have this week) and as per the terms of the contract the order is now cancelled.

Bonnie151 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:00pm
post #26 of 26

Well she finally showed up and it's paid for now. She asked how it was coming along and sounded very surprised when I said that it wasn't started because I hadn't been paid! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%