Gum Paste

Decorating By Kera414 Updated 22 Aug 2005 , 1:08am by marv

Kera414 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kera414 Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 11

I bought the Wilton Gum paste flower kit yesterday, I've never worked with gum paste before and I really enjoy it. The only thing I didn't like is that it cracks a little when you roll it thin. How can I prevent that??

My first gum paste roses and carnation:

Image[/img]

10 replies
VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 11

Wow-great job for your first time using gumpaste! You can either use some crisco or reduce the amount of cornstarch on your board to see if it reduces the cracking. Wilton gumpaste is kinda dry and not as stretchy as home made gumpaste but it works well enough.

Kera414 Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks!! I think I'm going make my next batch of gum paste once I've used all of this. What's the best recipe?

kathyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyg Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 11

Yes, I also had problems with the wilton gumpaste - the cracking and drying out. However I do hVE A EXCELLENT RECIPE FROM SCOTT CLARKE WOOLLEY. i SAY HES THE MASTER YODA OF GUMPASTE. i HAVE PICTUES OF SOME OF MY GUMPASTE WORKE IN THE GALLERY. i LOVE MAKING THE ORCHID, ANTHURIUM AND THE RUBRUM LILLY. lET ME KNOW IF i CAN HELP thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Biscat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biscat Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 11

Kera414 - your flowers look fabulous! I have used fondant but never gum paste - now you have me wanting to try it...

Kathyg - any chance you'd share your recipe? I'd love to have it if you don't mind sharing....

- Tami -

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 11

I would too!! I don't care for the Wilton gumpaste either .. it does dry too fast and cracks.. I have the same prob with mine .. I'd love to have a recipe that doesn't do this icon_smile.gif

Kera414 Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 10:57pm
post #7 of 11

Yeah I would definitely love to have that recipe if possible!!!

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 11:46pm
post #8 of 11

Your flowers are lovely... Great job!! icon_lol.gif

I use Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste and I love it it.. Here' the recipe if you want to give it a try...

Tylose Gumpaste

Tylose is an alternative product to use in making gumpaste instead of gum tragacanth. The advantage of the tylose is that the paste is less expensive,, easier to make, holds up better in humidity and is whiter in color. The 55g container makes approximately 3 pounds of finished gumpaste.

The following recipe will make approximately 2 pounds of gumpaste.

4 - Large Egg Whites
1 - 2 lb. bag 10x powdered sugar
12 - Level teaspoons Tylose (Available in our online store)
4 - Teaspoons shortening (Crisco)

1. Place the egg whites in a Kitchen Aid mixer bowl fitted with the flat paddle.

2. Turn the mixer on high speed for 10 seconds to break up the egg whites.

3. Reserve 1 cup of the powdered sugar and set aside.

4. Turn the mixer to the lowest speed and slowly add the remaining sugar. This will make a soft consistency royal icing.

5. Turn up the speed to setting 3 or 4 for about 2 minutes. During this time measure off the tylose into a small container.

6. Make sure the mixture is at the soft peak stage. It should look shiny, like meringue and the peaks fall over. (If coloring the entire batch, add the paste color at this stage, making it a shade darker than the desired color.)

7. Turn the mixer to the slow setting and sprinkle the tylose in over a five second time period. Next, turn the speed up to the high setting for a few seconds. (This will thicken the mixture.

8. Scrape the mixture out of the bowl onto a work surface that has been sprinkled with some of the reserved 1 cup of
powdered sugar. Place the shortening on your hands and knead the paste, adding enough of the reserved powdered sugar to form a soft but not sticky dough. You can check by pinching with your fingers and they should come away clean. Place the finished paste in a zip-top bag, then place the bagged paste in a second bag and seal well.

9. Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours if possible before using to mature the paste.

10. Before use, remove from refrigerator and allow the paste to come to room temperature. Take a small amount of shortening on the end of your finger and knead this into the paste. If you are coloring the paste, add the paste color at this stage.

11. Always store the paste in the zip-top bags and return to the refrigerator when you are not using the paste. Will keep under refrigeration for approximately 6 months. You can keep the paste longer by freezing. Be sure to use zip-top freezer bags. If you will be freezing a batch of paste, allow it to mature for 24 hours in the refrigerator first before placing into the freezer.

Kera414 Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 11:55pm
post #9 of 11

Awesome - Thanks!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 12:50am
post #10 of 11

you can add 1/2 gumpast and 1/2 fondant and it works wonderful!!! just learned gumpast flowers...check under my pictures for the ones i just did.
really, gumpast doesnt cost that much, the fondant does though, so making your own may be cheaper....let us know how it turns out please!

melody

marv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marv Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 1:08am
post #11 of 11

I searched and found Scott Clark Woolley's gumpaste recipe. I couldn't copy the text as is, so I had to save it as a .jpg image which I attached here..
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%