Buttercream Icing

Baking By prettynpinkdi1 Updated 21 Jan 2007 , 7:34pm by HollyPJ

prettynpinkdi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettynpinkdi1 Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 15

Does anyone have a good receipe for buttercream icing that is all butter and not any crisco in it? I have made the class buttercream icing for my cakes and some of my family members dislike the taste of crisco in it and they dont eat the icing on the cakes.... icon_cry.gif Also would I be able to decorate or pipe designs on the cakes easily like I would with the class buttercream icing??

Any help would be great! TIA

14 replies
swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 15

i hear you i haev that problem too sometimes. Ill bump you to see if we can get a response.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 15

Here is a recipe from the recipe section for an all butter buttercream icing. I have not used it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1610-221-No-Crust-Buttercream-Icing.html

If you have a recipe that you like, you should be able to just substitute all butter for the shortening. Just remember, the icing is not going to crust if you use all butter.

Hope this helps.
Cindy

prettynpinkdi1 Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 15

cindy6250,

Thanks for the recipe, I will try it today.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 15

Can this icing be used for decorating?

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks for that recipe! It seems so thin, though; can you pipe w/ it?

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 15

NZ, we must have been responding at the same time.

I have been trying and trying to come up with icing that I can decorate with but it isn't the Wilton type of Icing.

anaisbourbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anaisbourbon Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 12:12am
post #8 of 15

Me too. I'm trying to find a great-tasting one that can be used to pipe w/! And I hate meringue BC's as they NEVER come out right! icon_mad.gif

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 12:18am
post #9 of 15

while I don't have an all butter recipe, I have been using the "Buttercream Dream" recipe posted on this site, and it tastes great, no one can tell it has crisco in it. The best way to describe it is that it tastes very very similar to the cream in the middle of oreo cookies, which makes it great for chocolate fudge cakes! I hope you find what you need!!!

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 12:19am
post #10 of 15

I use all-butter icings on my cakes. I'll occasionally use a little shortening in it if I'm going to be piping a lot of flowers, but you can pipe with it. And while it doesn't "crust," you can refrigerate it to get it firm. I've used Melvira's roller-smoothing technique on it too.

This is adapted from a recipe by Colette Peters:

Buttercream:

2 sticks butter, softened to room temp (I use salted butter because I find it helps cut the sweetness of the icing, but you could use unsalted, too. Don't use margarine)
2 pounds powdered sugar
2 tsp real vanilla (not clear imitation), or other flavorings
1/4-1/2 cup milk (you can use part cream, too)

In a mixer, beat butter on low speed until smooth. Keeping the mixer on low, add 1 pound of the powdered sugar and vanilla. Add milk as needed to keep the icing from getting too stiff to mix. Add the rest of the sugar alternately with the milk until a good consistency is achieved. Continue to beat on very low speed (you can use the paddle attachment) until icing is very smooth and there are no bubbles.

Cake iced with this will stay good at room temp for up to two days. Keep leftover icing in fridge for up to two weeks.

Icing will be slightly yellow in color. To whiten it, add Wilton Icing Whitener or a tiny bit of violet food color. The violet will counteract the yellow and give the icing a pure white appearance.

HollyPJ Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 12:25am
post #11 of 15

I also like using meringue buttercreams. Here's a recent thread about them:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-60091.html

prettynpinkdi1 Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 15

2 tsp real vanilla (not clear imitation), or other flavorings .

Im assuming that the Wilton Vanilla is imitation?
Where can i get the "real vanilla" and what brand should I use?
[/quote]

HollyPJ Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 9:55pm
post #13 of 15

Yes--the clear Wilton vanilla is imitation.

You can get real vanilla at any grocery store. Just look for Pure Vanilla Extract or 100% vanilla extract on the label. It should be pretty easy to tell. As for brand, you can find everything from McCormick's, which is fairly inexpensive and in just about every grocery store in the US, to exotic pricey vanillas in gourmet stores. I wouldn't worry too much about that yet--just go for real vanilla and you've taken a big step up from imitation.

I buy my vanilla at Costco in big bottles. It's cheaper than at the grocery store and is a decent product.

Good luck!

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 5:06pm
post #14 of 15

I didn't see this thread and just posted a similiar one. I am having the same problem. I just frosted a cake with all butter buttercream and the icing is in the process of falling off the cake right now! I have it covered in my garage trying to get he icing to firm up. The wilton in the can seems to be the only one I can pipe with as well yet I am not a big fan of the taste icon_confused.gif Whats a girl to do icon_wink.gif

HollyPJ Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 7:34pm
post #15 of 15

It sounds like your icing might be too thin. Maybe add more powdered sugar next time? Or less liquid?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%