What Do You Typically Charge For...

Business By annieluz Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 2:43am by CookiezNCupcakez

annieluz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annieluz Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 20

...one dozen regular sized filled cupcakes? they will be triple chocolate cupcakes with either fudge, peanut butter, or cookies and cream filling with choc frosting... I was thinking $2-$2.5/each but I really don't know if that is ok? My excel isn't working here at home so I can't use the matrix until next week (when I get back to my office) and I promised a quote for tomorrow... any suggestions?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

19 replies
kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:25am
post #2 of 20

BUMP icon_smile.gif

I've seen people price cupcakes $2+ before. I have trouble with cupcake prices too.

annieluz Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:33am
post #3 of 20

k2cakes... yea cupcakes are def. a toughy... especially since i am a newbie to selling so everything is a toughy for me! icon_smile.gif

to me cupcakes seem like more work... more decorating... more time... but I don't think I could charge more than $30 for 12... i know this really neat place that charges $2per cupcake but that isn't with filling... I am probably going to tell her I will do them for $28... if she wants 2 dozen I can bring it down to $2/ea...

icon_smile.gif

THANKS!!!

sweetsbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyjen Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:38am
post #4 of 20

I think $2 or $2.50- is fair. I do it by the number of components and flavors, van or choc with BC is $1.50, Gourmet flavor with B.C. is $2 and then gourmet flavor with filling and flavored B.C. is $2.50. it's tough, but if you are going through the trouble, you mine as well msake it worth it. Once you add it up for each dozen, knock off $2 or $3 so they feel they are getting a discount for ordering more. 12 for the price of 11, get it! It works for me.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:30am
post #5 of 20

Personally I wouldn't only sell a dozen unless you have a recipe/mix that only makes a dozen.

My feelings is if it has a filling in it I would charge the same I would for a serving of cake, since they are pretty much getting that. So if your serving of cake is $2 then that is what the cupcake would be, for me at least. Those are for the basic swirl of icing on top. More elaborate decorations would cost more.

annieluz Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 20

... i was thinking to just half my usual recipe that way nothing goes to waste... in the future, i plan on keeping 2 dozen as a minimum to ensure a profit, but since I had already agreed to do the dozen BEFORE figuring out how much I am really making, I am just going to do it for her... PLUS, I might be getting a wedding cake (my first one!!) out of this deal so I am really hoping to get her business!

i was thinking of following jen's breakdown by tweaking it a bit:

van or choc w/ BC = $1.50/each
Gourmet flavor w/ BC = $1.75/each
Gourmet flavor w/ flavored BC = $2.00/each
Gourmet flavor w/ flavored BC & filling = $2.25/each

If they want a special desgin or topper on them, I adjust accordingly

it seems fair... THANKS for your suggestions icon_smile.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 20

Thank you for opening this thread. That organized price breakdown is really helpful because the few times I've sold cupcakes, I've been practically giving them away.

sweetsbyjen~ thanks for sharing your prices by flavor/etc.

annieluz Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:57am
post #8 of 20

THanks!! I hope this helps so that we won't get ripped off in the future.... our hard work should be compensated accordingly!!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:18am
post #9 of 20

I charge 37.50 for a dozen... that's filled, a piped frosting swirl and coordinating sprinkles/jimmies. More elaborate decorations cost more, of course.

Minimum order 12, then they can add on a half dozen at a time.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:42am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieluz

to me cupcakes seem like more work... more decorating... more time...

Dang right! My arm is aching from making grass tip lions manes right now. I'm about to add "I no makie cupcakes" to my avatar! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:53am
post #11 of 20

I charge $2.00 each for classic filled for now icon_biggrin.gif
$2.75 each for speciality filled for now icon_biggrin.gif
Mini fondant cut outs .25 each
I price accordingly for more detailed toppers
NO discounts on orders less then 120 pcs
when I do discount I do it by a %

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:26pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:

Dang right! My arm is aching from making grass tip lions manes right now. I'm about to add "I no makie cupcakes" to my avatar! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LOL! You're funny! icon_lol.gif

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:14pm
post #13 of 20

Cupcakes with a swirl are the easiest thing in the world to me. It takes no time at all so I don't charge much for them. As someone said above, each cupcake is like one serving of cake so I would charge like you do per serving with a premium filling. So if you charge $2.50 per serving with a cood filling, so that per cupcake!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:36pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:

HA HA HA!!!!!!!!

I NO MAKIE CUPCAKIES...after i made over 300...each with a full buttercream rose on it, i was just starting out ...so i think i charged 10.00 a dozen...that was enough for me, i don't do em at any price, too much work, profit margin too low

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #15 of 20

Ah littlecake....300????? Oh man...no way. I'm thinking of limiting (yes limiting!) the order to 2 dozen and ONLY in accompaniment of a cake!

annieluz Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:28pm
post #16 of 20

Thanks for all your replies!! icon_smile.gif

300 cupcakes = WAY TOO MUCH!!!! LOL

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:59pm
post #17 of 20

We get $3.25 per cupcake in the shop, filled or not . Plain cupcakes are $33 a dozen , filled cupcakes are $36.00 a dozen, and filled decorated cupcakes start at $42 a dozen .

BTW, we sold 53,000 cupcakes last year, and that is with another bakery selling cupcakes for $2.50 less than 5 block away, so there is CASH in cupcakes.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 7:05pm
post #18 of 20

Does everyone make the standard size cupcake or do you make them larger??

annieluz Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 7:07pm
post #19 of 20

OMG!!! that is INSANE! props to you, snarkybaker!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:43am
post #20 of 20

Good for you snarky! Work smarter not harder thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%