Wedding Cake Platters

Decorating By sister340 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 3:23pm by dogwood

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:28am
post #1 of 15

What do you display your wedding cakes on? I don't plan to get mine back, so something I won't worry about. Plexiglas? Plywood?

14 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:38am
post #2 of 15

I either buy English style drums, and finish off the edges with satin ribbon, if it's two tiers or less, I'll get the silver cake boards at Michaels, and if I feel comfy with the weight of the cake, I'll cut my own out of 1/2 foam core, and finish with fancy scrapbook paper, clear contact paper and satin ribbon.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:52am
post #3 of 15

I love to use Tuff boards, especially for less formal cakes. They are white corrugated plastic with a scalloped edge, and they're fairly cheap. I buy them at a kitchen/restaurant supply store, but I know you can order them online as well, I'm just not sure where. I've seen cakes as large as 14"-10"-7" stacked on them with no problem. (Ifyou want to see what they look like, check my pics.)

Edited to add: Also, if you do get them back, you can wash them and reuse them -- I even put mine in the dishwasher.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 15

I use 1/2 inch foamcore - cover it with food safe covering and you are good to go - if you have a center dowel, you can run it right into that 1/2" board. It is easy to cut with an exacto knife.

I heard an idea the other day for those who would like to use a platform and don't have one - buy a big dummy and cover it with decorative foil - makes a cheap plateau.

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I use 1/2 inch foamcore - cover it with food safe covering and you are good to go - if you have a center dowel, you can run it right into that 1/2" board. It is easy to cut with an exacto knife.

I heard an idea the other day for those who would like to use a platform and don't have one - buy a big dummy and cover it with decorative foil - makes a cheap plateau.

Oh yeah!! That's a great idea...I used a 16" dummy under one of the last wedding cakes I did...very sturdy. Covered with a legth of fabric, and poofed out and around the base...very cool! And cheap!

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 15

You guys sound really crafty. I'm trying to get my DH to make me a couple of different stands (cupcake & cake). I have been using those 50% off coupons from Michaels to buy a couple of Wilton cake stands (just bought the floating tiers one).
I love the idea of using drums with ribbon wrapped around it. Also using dummy cakes as separators with pretty ribbon wrapped around them. I guess the ribbon could be changed to suit the occasion. I love ribbon.......and scrapbook paper. I have so much scrapbook paper I know I am responsible for wrecking a couple of forests.
icon_biggrin.gif

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes22

You guys sound really crafty. I'm trying to get my DH to make me a couple of different stands (cupcake & cake). I have been using those 50% off coupons from Michaels to buy a couple of Wilton cake stands (just bought the floating tiers one).
I love the idea of using drums with ribbon wrapped around it. Also using dummy cakes as separators with pretty ribbon wrapped around them. I guess the ribbon could be changed to suit the occasion. I love ribbon.......and scrapbook paper. I have so much scrapbook paper I know I am responsible for wrecking a couple of forests.
icon_biggrin.gif

Use all the scapbook paper you want! Trees are a renewable resource! (this from someone who works for a paper manufacturing company~)

mom2abc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2abc Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 15

This is probably a dumb question but I am going to ask it. Where do you get the dummy cakes?

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:30am
post #9 of 15

Yes, what are these, exactly?

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:17am
post #10 of 15

Taylor foam has some reasonably prices styrofoam cake forms.

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:34am
post #11 of 15

Oh yeah...I LOVE taylor foam!! They have the contour tops!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:42pm
post #12 of 15

Most cake supply places have them - I have heard folks use www.**********.com too

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:04pm
post #13 of 15

You can also get from www.**********online.com

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm
post #14 of 15

you mean www.**********.com ??? (no spaces)

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:23pm
post #15 of 15

Yes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%