Flour Sifters

Decorating By monkeny Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 12:55pm by djs328

monkeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeny Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:05am
post #1 of 18

Crank, Electric, or Shake??? Brand?? Tell Me Your Favorite....I am wanting to buy a good one. TIA!

17 replies
kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:32am
post #2 of 18

I now use the shake method, I think? It's like a collander, only mesh with a handle and I shake/tap it to "sift" the dry. I can't believe I can't think of the name. icon_redface.gif (I saw Alton Brown use this method and I loved it!)

I tried those hand held ones you squeeze the handle and the blade circulates, but cleaning them was a nighmare... I could never find one that came apart. So I gave up and started using my "giant tea strainer" as I call it.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:01am
post #3 of 18

tamis sieve

google it... get one... will never use anything else

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:56am
post #4 of 18

I simply use a metal/wire strainer from the dollar store and it works fantastic!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:07am
post #5 of 18

William-Sonoma's crank handle sifter...I love it to pieces icon_smile.gif . It works very well. I think I paid 20 bucks for it.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:24am
post #6 of 18

I have a crank handle one and I like it well enough...but it is the only kind I've ever used

maudabom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maudabom Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:29am
post #7 of 18

I have one of those trigger handle sifters. I HATE it !! When your sifting 12 + cups of sugar/flour your hands are killing you half way through! I had a crank one for a long time that I loved, but it eventually fell apart. When I went to buy another this stupid trigger one is all they had. AND as someone stated above, it is a pain in the kiester to clean!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:17pm
post #8 of 18

A fine mesh sieve will work perfectly - it doesn't have to be a special kind, just find one with fine mesh and a handle and you're good to go. (just like Alton Brown!) I have a cheapo one from walmart that I have been using for about 10 years now.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:40pm
post #9 of 18

PinkZiab - what size mesh do you recommend for sifting dry ingredients for cakes?

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 18

Mines just a crank handle sifter I found at a thrift store for a couple of bucks. You'd be amazed at what you can find in those places! I've found all sorts of inexpensive kitchen gadgets, bowls and pans there. Lots of cheap junk but now and then you find a gem. icon_smile.gif

Oh, I had one sifter that had the squeeze handle. It turned these little disk things (sorry, hard to explain!) I hated that one! I broke it, fixed it and broke it again. Then I saw the crank handle in a thrift store and haven't looked back. The only thing I'd do differently is mine is only two cups. I'd buy a bigger one if I were to buy another.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 18

I have both the sifter with a handle and the crank one ever since I threw the trigger one against the wall!! I hated that thing!!! I got my crank hankle one at kitchen krafts online and it was really cheap!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:54pm
post #12 of 18

My 26 year old hand crank sifter is about to bite the dust and I'm trying to replace it. I can't physically manage the squeeze handle kind and for just my own use at home, the mesh strainer seems to be way too messy. Maybe I just don't understand how you use them, but I can't control the flour/sugar/cocoa, etc. in a neat manner like I can with my sifter.

I've been looking for a new hand crank one and William Sonoma does have a nice one, but it seems overpriced at $20 (shocking, I know icon_smile.gif )

I'm wondering if anyone has seen one cheaper than that? I'd rather not pay shipping for such a small purchase, and I would think it would take the price up to or over $20 anyway.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:05am
post #13 of 18

I have the Norpro battery operated one... I love it, it is more of a shaking motion.. I have seen them online, but I got lucky and got mine at a local store called Factory-2-U brand new in the box for $1.00 Yes I said $1.00 that wasn't a typo... icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

This one VVV
LL

monkeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeny Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:28am
post #14 of 18

Thanks SO much for all the replies...looks like everyone has their favorites! Now time to decide!

tallgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tallgood Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:14pm
post #15 of 18

I had the kind you squeeze and it was a pain...in the arm, hand and you-know-where! I couldn't clean it, DH tried to take it apart to clean it, and couldn't get it back together. Pitched it.

Went to local cooking/baking store yesterday, and had them order me the crank type. They could order three sizes, 1-cup, 3-cup and 5-cup. I ordered the 3-cup with the tapered bottom for $17. Without the taper was $14. No shipping expense either.

My grandmother had one and I loved it. Was hoping they still made that type.

Question... since they may be somewhat hard to clean, is it possible to store with dusty flour attached in large zip-lock bag between uses? I bake only for family.

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:26pm
post #16 of 18

I use a fine mesh sieve. Couldn't be bothered with any of the special gadgets, sieve works great.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:28pm
post #17 of 18

I use a fine mesh strainer and a wooden spoon - I have two sifters in the baking drawer - don't use either one. Come Garage Sale season, they're going to get sold.

I do have (and LOVE) these two small sifters from Pampered Chef. One is in the 10x bucket, one in the flour bucket. They are 2 cups each, and have a screw on mesh lid, and are perfect for dusting the table to roll out cookies and fondant.

https://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=36&catId=122&parentCatId=122&outletSubCat=&viewAllOutlet=

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:55pm
post #18 of 18

I just use the mesh colander like a lot of other people have said...I use a wire whisk to 'stir' it instead of shaking it. Works for me! Not messy at all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%