Oh Boy, What Did I Get Myself Into...

Decorating By gerripje Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 2:11am by indydebi

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 17

I am attempting a two tier topsy turvy cake for the first time for Wednesday. If last night is the beginning of wreck after wreck, I'm in big trouble!
First, my batch or MFF is so soft and I swear I've added like 5 lbs of PS! So I picked up Wilton fondant the other day and it really does taste really bad!! I thought they will never eat that!!
This morning my marble WASC cakes are baking nicely, then my 14 year old DS comes walking in..... he took off from the swimming pool!! So as I'm cussing and hollaring at him, I take my 9 inch cakes out of the oven.......... and proceed to stack them one on top of the other..... icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
As I scream in horror realizing what I've done, half the cake is stuck on the bottom of the pans.
Now lets see if I can salvage anything otherwise thank goodness I started early enough to rebake.
Thank you for listening to my rant!!

16 replies
Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 17

Yikes! Hope your day improves after this! icon_smile.gif

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 17

Hopefully it can only get better. icon_biggrin.gif & it could be way worse........(not going to mention anything worse incase of the dreaded jinx) thumbs_up.gif

gerripje Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 17

Thank you for that, and yes it could be....... worse (whispering). At least this cake if for my DS step sister. I told them yesterday that it will definately taste good, but may not be so pretty!!

kamikaze_fish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kamikaze_fish Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 17

I think we've all had those kind of days. Just take a few breaths and keep trying. Just remember, there's always someone that has it worse than you.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 17

If all else fails... Make a kitty litter cake!!!! It's always a hit! I'm having troubles getting started. I have to travel 2 hours on the plane with a wedding cake on Friday. UGH!!!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 17

Your cakes are lovely. Sorry you're having so much trouble, but I'm sure you will come up with something wonderful. I hate days like that.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm
post #8 of 17

I had a day like that last week... I felt the same way that you do. Frustrated, angry. It's just one day though. Sending good vibes your way! =o)

narfletta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
narfletta Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 17

i'm so confused.. this is dumb question.. what does DS stand for??

p.s.... i hope your day gets better.... you must be ready to throw something! tapedshut.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 17

Remember to take a deep breath! It will get better. We've all heard the saying about making lemonade when life hands you lemons, but for us cakers, and it looks like you will have plenty of marble cake crumbs: When caking hands you cake crumbs - make cake balls!

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:20pm
post #11 of 17

Last week I colored a whole batch of icing the wrong color because some dolt (me) put the wrong lid on the jar of food color. What was supposed to be pastel yellow was orange. Yeah, like I'm gonna be able to fix THAT.

The next day I made a batch of muffins for the neighbor and put 1/3 cup of Colon Cleanser in the mix instead of brewer's yeast because some dolt (me) didn't label the jar before putting it in the cupboard. First bite I'm like, oh crap (pardon the pun)

This week will be better for both of us, it just has to be thumbs_up.gif

tararenee29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tararenee29 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:23pm
post #12 of 17

I'm so glad to hear this happens to other people. I had a similar problem last week, I had 1 cake stick to the pan so I baked another layer. Literally as I was telling my mom the story my son knocked the 2 good cakes off the counter. Best of luck to you and your cake! If it taste good I've found most people forget about all the flaws.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:11pm
post #13 of 17

If you mix some of your MFF with the Wilton, you'll get a tasty product that should work very nicely.

Rae

gerripje Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:03am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

If you mix some of your MFF with the Wilton, you'll get a tasty product that should work very nicely.

Rae

I tried it and it is very nice consistency and tastes alright!
Thank you for the good vibes! It must have helped because after I froze it a little and dove into carving, it actually looks pretty good! I have my bottom 9 inch tier in the fridge with a spackle coat. Now if the fondant will just behave for me then I'll be exstatic!
Thanks for listening and changing my perspective, there are certainly lots worse things that could be going on right now. icon_smile.gif

gerripje Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:08am
post #15 of 17

Oh Narfletta.. DS stands for dear son or sister (I guess). I know I had a heck of a time with abbreviations at first. I've never been an online chatter or forum contributor. I think there is a sticky in the general section with common abbreviations listed.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:16am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladiesofthehouse

The next day I made a batch of muffins for the neighbor and put 1/3 cup of Colon Cleanser in the mix instead of brewer's yeast because some dolt (me) didn't label the jar before putting it in the cupboard. First bite I'm like, oh crap (pardon the pun)

This week will be better for both of us, it just has to be thumbs_up.gif

LOL first off thats funny. im sure it wouldnt have been at the time, and secondly, I have had neighbors in the past who i have despised so much I would have been tempted to do that on purpose, i mean "accident" well thats what I would have said anyway.

and as for putting the wrong lid on the wrong colored jar, been there done that..

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:11am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladiesofthehouse

.... and put 1/3 cup of Colon Cleanser in the mix instead of brewer's yeast

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Oh this one was a big LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%