Laying Gumpaste Flowers On The Cake

Decorating By jdrew Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm by jdrew

jdrew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdrew Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 7

If you were laying wired gumpaste flowers on top of the cake. Would you bend the wire and stick them in the cake with a stir straws? Or would you cut the wire down a little and lay it on the cake? I know foral tape isn't food safe. That's why I thinking of the first idea....I'm having a small bow on top of the cake too.

I just wanted to ask.

Thanks for any advice.

Julie

6 replies
PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 7

You can use straws. Any wire touching the moist icing may rust so you have to be really careful. You can also stick a bit of gumpaste in the straw to hold the flowers secure.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 7

Floral tape isn't food safe? I have floral tape that I got from Nicholas Lodge and Jennifer Dontz both ... are you sure it isn't food safe? Maybe it is like other things - there are both varieties out there???

jdrew Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 7

Sorry. I was talking about the foral tape from Michaels. I need to order food safe foral tape.

bsharp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsharp Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 7

If I am going to cut the stems down, I will use melted chocolate to adhere them to the cake. Takes very little.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 7

I think it depends on the flower arrangement as to whether or not it should lay or be inserted. If I am to insert into a cake I use a straw and insert the floral taped and wired into the straw, so that nothing is touching the cake, except the drinking straw...

I have heard of decorators who will use wire in their cakes, they just wipe them down with vinegar and insert them naked into the cake.

If you are going to lay it on a cake in which I did my most recent fondant cake in my gallery, I see no worries on having it touch the fondant. I have never heard of food safe floral tapes. I live in the UK and have several sugarpaste flower books and none of them mention "food safe floral tape". This is also my 3rd semester in sugarpaste courses and my instructor told us to use floral tape from the beginning. icon_smile.gif Hope that eases your concerns.

jdrew Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the advice!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%