How Cheap Could They Really Be??

Decorating By psm89 Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 6:39am by Mensch

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:57pm
post #61 of 74

Ooops, now that I look at it, I think that is the back of the cake icon_confused.gif I have a couple wonky shells back there! That's the side I *put on display* at the wedding too! Oh, well nothing to do about it now!

__Jamie__ says

Quote:
Quote:

That's a great cake! I always have appreciation for perfectly straight lines and great piping. Neither of which I can do worth a darn. Heck, I would poo myself right there if someone brought me a Walmart design....hee hee!

I just checked out your cakes, they are rad! I need to intern with a great fondant worker! Anybody need a dish washer? .....Hey, Maybe that is a good way to be a cheap bride!! Come do my grunt work for cake! I can just see them wanting to do thier own cake after washing dishes 1 time!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:19pm
post #62 of 74

Lol! Yeah. I'm no great fondant worker, but I get by! Lemme tell ya, good lighting hides the flaws that we decorators pick up on in a heartbeat! Did anyone see that rerun of Ace of Cakes the other night, where they were making their co worker Sherry's wedding cake? I couldn't believe the bulges, it was amazing. And they started piping right over them!

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:59pm
post #63 of 74

Im not sure this fits in here but when I saw "CHEAP" - It made me shake my head all over again!!
I did some cookies a few weeks ago for a Saturn dealership (pics are in my gallery) ordered by one of the salesman who goes to Church with my DD .. to give away at their Customer App Day. These cookies were my worst job ever - I had been very sick the week b4 and still didnt feel well - Nothing catchy - probs with my heart - but he wanted them anyways, and I went ahead and sent them - regretfully and w/a promise to make it up to him - He emailed me afterwards and said one of the other salesmans wife wanted my recipe .. She gushed and gushed over them .. I said: um NO! Tell her ORDER some icon_wink.gif Anyways - then he emailed a few days later and said: She said to tell me that those were the prettiest and best tasting cookies she'd ever seen/ate - how did I do the icing that way? How did I keep one color from going into the other, etc etc and if Id meet with her, she wanted to put me into a business where I/We could make boocuu $$$ icon_eek.gif Baking these cookies!! Ewww- maybe even cakes ya think?! icon_razz.gif

WTH?! icon_mad.gif What does she think Im doing??????? Baking cookies for my honey and sending them to his job?!?!?! icon_mad.gif
My DD said it sounds like she's trying to pimp out her ho! icon_lol.gif
(I know that there are Ho CAKES .. but Ho Cookies?? hmmm I dunno)

Well, I dont know WHY this makes me say CHEAP but it did, and Im done and Im sorry!! icon_redface.gif Thanks for letting me ramble!

GayeG Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:00am
post #64 of 74

Im not sure this fits in here but when I saw "CHEAP" - It made me shake my head all over again!!
I did some cookies a few weeks ago for a Saturn dealership (pics are in my gallery) ordered by one of the salesman who goes to Church with my DD .. to give away at their Customer App Day. These cookies were my worst job ever - I had been very sick the week b4 and still didnt feel well - Nothing catchy - probs with my heart - but he wanted them anyways, and I went ahead and sent them - regretfully and w/a promise to make it up to him - He emailed me afterwards and said one of the other salesmans wife wanted my recipe .. She gushed and gushed over them .. I said: um NO! Tell her ORDER some icon_wink.gif Anyways - then he emailed a few days later and said: She said to tell me that those were the prettiest and best tasting cookies she'd ever seen/ate - how did I do the icing that way? How did I keep one color from going into the other, etc etc and if Id meet with her, she wanted to put me into a business where I/We could make boocuu $$$ icon_eek.gif Baking these cookies!! Ewww- maybe even cakes ya think?! icon_razz.gif

WTH?! icon_mad.gif What does she think Im doing??????? Baking cookies for my honey and sending them to his job?!?!?! icon_mad.gif

Well, I dont know WHY this makes me say CHEAP but it did, and Im done and Im sorry!! icon_redface.gif Thanks for letting me ramble!

GayeG Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:01am
post #65 of 74

GayeG Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:08am
post #66 of 74

Well, ok then ... I DID NOT post that 3 times!!!! hahahaha
Lemme see if I can delete these!

yeah well, no .. I have no idea how to .. SORRY!!

cakesncrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesncrumbs Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:46am
post #67 of 74

I've got one. I got an email from someone asking about a carved Thomas the Tank cake to feed 75 people. I quoted her a price, she said that was fine and that she'd be getting in touch with me as the date gets closer to give me more details about the party. I got an email about a week after the party with a picture of the Thomas the Tank cake she decided to make herself. Talk about a slap in the face!

cakesncrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesncrumbs Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:47am
post #68 of 74

I've got one. I got an email from someone asking about a carved Thomas the Tank cake to feed 75 people. I quoted her a price, she said that was fine and that she'd be getting in touch with me as the date gets closer to give me more details about the party. I got an email about a week after the party with a picture of the Thomas the Tank cake she decided to make herself. Talk about a slap in the face!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:41am
post #69 of 74

But how did it look? Please share the pic!!!

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:03am
post #70 of 74

I can understand how infuriating it is when people don't seem to respect your prices, but the reality is that many people genuinely don't have a clue about how much it costs to make a cake. You make the (inaccurate) logic in your head that if you make a cake for at home, it usually costs you, like $5 and it feeds at least 10 and you're not even buying the stuff in bulk, right? But you don't take into account that you use stuff you already have in your pantry, nor do you have any concept of how long it takes to prepare, make and decorate a cake - oh, and the cost of the cake board/support system!

Case in point, my best friend was getting married on a supertight budget. She knew it was supertight and didn't opt for anything fancy and we made most of the elements of her wedding ourselves. We decided to make cupcakes for her wedding cake to save some money. I would say we seriously expected it to cost us about $40 - $60 to make 100 white chocolate mudcake cupcakes iced in white ganache and it would just take about 3 hours in total. How wrong were we?! It was $100 in ingredients alone, then a day of baking - she at her house, me at mine and her mum at her mum's house all baking simultaneously. Then the icing. It took forever! Then we still had to buy a little cake for the top and paid a decorator $25 for a small spray of flowers to make it look more weddingy. So by now we're at least up to $150 and totally stressed! In the end, it would have been so much easier to get someone to make it for us, but we really were so naive about the cost.

Then when I decided to take up cake decorating at the end of last year as a hobby I could not believe just how expensive everything was. Suddenly the pricing made sense and when you spend six hours icing a cake .... well it is a wake up call.

I guess what I'm saying is don't be too harsh on family and friends - most genuinely do not have a concept of the cost or time and many will be very embarrassed when they one day come to realise the cost. (I know there are exceptions but I'm just putting forward the case of the genuinely price dumb ones)

queenfa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenfa Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:25am
post #71 of 74

I agee with you all especially you bluehue.I mean what do say to such cheap pple.Nothing.Seriously,dont waste your time by responding,she and others like her does not get it and they will not ,no mather how much you explain what it cost you.

Meanwhile,I need help.my fondant is never white.I use mmf but it always comes out ivory.I have a wedding cake this saturda,the lady specifically want WHITE fondant(EMPHASISED) what can I do?

GayeG Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:50am
post #72 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfa

I agee with you all especially you bluehue.I mean what do say to such cheap pple.Nothing.Seriously,dont waste your time by responding,she and others like her does not get it and they will not ,no mather how much you explain what it cost you.

Meanwhile,I need help.my fondant is never white.I use mmf but it always comes out ivory.I have a wedding cake this saturda,the lady specifically want WHITE fondant(EMPHASISED) what can I do?

It should totaly come out white UNLESS your using colored (real) vanilla or flavorings .. thats the ONLY think that could casue it to not be .. so if your not, then Im at a total loss - and look forward to what the others say!
I make it all the time and mine is very white ..

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 6:05am
post #73 of 74

I start off by saying that the cost isn't just cake, but cake board, box, supplies, power (electric or gas for oven and electric for mixers), PLUS my time. (And don't forget, you have to wash all that stuff, too, so include water, sewage, soap, electricity if you have a dishwasher, etc.)

Most of all, I stress the fact that this is a personalized cake, NOT a Wal-mart "looks like all the other cakes" cake. You get what you want, not what I want to make. Everything's fresh (no frozen cakes that are shipped to the store), freshmade BC. I really stress the 'fresh' factor and 'made for you' factor.

Finally, I say you don't just want a nice cake, you want a nice presentation. The best looking cake can be terrible on a Tupperware base, but a crappy cake can look good on a proper cake board covered in fondant.

But in the end, they will do what they want ... and hopefully learn that it's not just about the price. And be glad they didn't say "Yes", since they'd probably be more trouble than the money you'd make in the end.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 6:39am
post #74 of 74

hahah.... all these stories are great. Keep 'em coming.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%