Anyone Watching Fn Challenge (Kerry Vincent)?

Decorating By Kimmers971 Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 1:11pm by yumcake06

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:37pm
post #121 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I missed it, thanks for the head's up on the repeat.
Was this the cake? http://steviefamulari.net/popups/B1e.html
-
BTW: Georgia O'Keefe hated flowers. She painted them because they were cheap and would stay still... I've always found that hilarious.

Oh. wow. that cake will give me nightmares.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:48pm
post #122 of 188

Just my opinion, but Stevie seemed disrespectful to me. I would never buy a cake from who purposely worked on making such a mess.....drama for tv?? possibly - but to me, it was disrespectful to all who had to witness it. That mess making has absolutely NOTHING to do with being artistic. If I had been the one in charge there, I would have discreetly asked to to clean up her act or leave. She could have done that desgin without the "pig sty" drama. I am usually one who lives by the "if you can't say something nice" rule.....but this one really bugged me.

(I haven't had time to read all 8 pages, will work on that this afternoon)

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:49pm
post #123 of 188

Does anyone remember Marie Barone's sculpture on "Everybody Loves Raymond", that she gave to the nuns? Same concept!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:02pm
post #124 of 188

We didn't see that in Marie's sculpture. I saw a butterfly, my husband said it looked like a porpoise's tail. I never could understand why it was supposed to look like a woman's private parts.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:17pm
post #125 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

That mess making has absolutely NOTHING to do with being artistic. )

It sure isn't but I think her cake was an art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

If I had been the one in charge there, I would have discreetly asked to to clean up her act or leave. She could have done that desgin without the "pig sty" drama. I am usually one who lives by the "if you can't say something nice" rule.....but this one really bugged me.

Good thing you weren't the one in charge. I love her. I probabaly would have never enjoyed the show as much if you kicked her out. She's awesome... despite of her disrespectfulness.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:21pm
post #126 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

We didn't see that in Marie's sculpture. I saw a butterfly, my husband said it looked like a porpoise's tail. I never could understand why it was supposed to look like a woman's private parts.

Me neither! I thought it was a whale's tail!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:27pm
post #127 of 188

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:31pm
post #128 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I understand a paint-artist studio looking like that, but we're dealing with FOOD here. Theoretically, this cake is going to be eaten by people and waching her use her bare hands to stuff cake "goo" between those hunks of cake was disgusting. Her whole attitude of not caring what the kitchen looked like was a reflection on her work habits and I'd question anything that came out of her kitchen as far as food safety and cleanliness was concerned.

But seriously, is there anyone who really expects to eat anything that comes out of those challenges anymore?

i think as debi pointed out, it doesn't matter if anyone was actually going to eat that particular cake or not, it's still food! and it was a representation of what she actually does. could you honestly say you'd eat something out of a kitchen knowing that that is the type of cleanliness (or lack of) that was going on?

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:33pm
post #129 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

And what person in the world never had a birthday cake before? WTF?

I get the same reaction when people hear we never really had birthday "parties" growing up. We had a cake at dinner with candles. Period. And we had them on the payday following our birthday. If our birthday was on Wednesday, we had birthday cake on Friday or Saturday, after dad got paid and we had the money to buy a cake from the grocery freezer section. (no such thing as grocery store bakeries back then and we couldn't afford a "bakery" cake).

So I can honestly say I've never had a birthday party in my life, where a bunch of people were invited and brought presents, etc.

There's a lot of stuff that people think is "normal" that I chose not to participate in. One guy in high school was shocked that I didnt' order a senior key. What the hell did I want to spend money on that thing for? I didn't attend my high school graduation .... just picked up the diploma from the office. I graduated mid-term. My senior year I went to school until noon and "graduated" in January. Didn't go back for some silly ceremony. Had no grad party either. Many people think that's non-normal, strange and odd, but it's not who I am and I chose not to do it.

All of my family said I was an old lady when I was a kid, and I take that as a big compliment. Of course now they tell me that as an old lady, I should stop acting like a little kid, which I also consider a big compliement! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

When Kerry said she was never a girly girl even as a little girl, I believed her because that describes me, too.

I didn't have birthday parties, either........and if I did have a cake, my mom made it......nothing fancy, just a cake......maybe a candle........like indydebi when I was little, we had to wait until Dad got paid, and then we had it on Friday or Saturday...........seemed normal enough to me........I don't think I lacked for anything............who makes up the rules on what is "normal"?

Alas, I have come to a conclusion: "normal is just a setting on a washing machine"!

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #130 of 188

Ok can somebody, anybody help me out here - I still don't get what her (Stevie) "cake" was suppose to be and what did it have to do with anybodies birthday? and "living sculpture". I love all types of art from classic masters to my kids but I am still so very confused what she was trying to accomplish with her cake. Don't get me started with the mess of that kitchen icon_eek.gif

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:37pm
post #131 of 188

Why did they even invite Stevie to be on the show? I thought she was an embarassment to herself and the industry. I can't believe she's a professional cake decorator.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:57pm
post #132 of 188

OK - I read all 9 pages now. I refuse to go to her site.

The winners - went out of their comfort zone to make something to honor the person who's day it was....KERRY'S - they did a beautiful job and you could tell Kerry appreciated their work.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:05pm
post #133 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenre

Why did they even invite Stevie to be on the show? I thought she was an embarassment to herself and the industry. I can't believe she's a professional cake decorator.

She's NOT a cake decorator. She's on the show because they found her through her artwork that she does using food as a medium. And because she certainly gets a reaction from people! icon_wink.gif Based on her website, she apparently does chocolates, but not cakes.

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:19pm
post #134 of 188

I tunned in too late and didn't get to see what happened to Norman, was he dizzy or something? His assistant did an outstanding job, that was my favorite cake out of all.

I liked Jason's cake as well but I not too fond of him, his attitude turns me off every single time.

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm
post #135 of 188

Did any one notice when Kerri asked why no thought to maker her headband part of the cake! I thought that was great!

Yeah- Buddy was just there to promote his show. He wanted to make the purse cake (since those are all the rage now) and he wanted to sell himself. He wasn't there to make a ckae for Kerri.

Jason is freaking halrious!

I think Stevie just wanted to burn it down! Her own little "protest" or whatever. She acted like a toddler who has been told "no" for the first time!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:36pm
post #136 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

I'm actually angry right now. icon_mad.gif

There are so many talented decoraters who deserve to be on that show instead of her. I can think of a dozen right here on cake central.

Just not fair

That woman is an unprofessional nut case.

Have to agree with you totally!!! There are so many other decorators who could/would have produced a beautiful cake for Kerry instead of her.

I wonder if they just had her on to add some extra drama to the show?

Yeah, I think they are going for the drama..
Edna icon_smile.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:40pm
post #137 of 188

Well I can honestly say if get invited on that show (yeah, I know in my dreams) I wouldn't have the worst cake in history on Challenge. Stevie would be tough to beat for worst cake!

I thought Norm's assistant did an awesome job, love Buddy, but Jason definately deserved the win!

CatherineR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineR Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:41pm
post #138 of 188

Normally I record all the cake challenges to replay and pick up all the neat cake tricks the challengers have to share but I will say that watching Stevie was to learn all the things opposite of what she was doing. She was so unprofessional and with a bad attitude. She was there for herself and no one else. I hope that she does not get invited back for a challenge as there are many that are very talented to select from. Let her use her artistic creativity for her own clients. Now just don't know what Buddy was thinking. His cake was designed for a young girl and he didn't seem to want to change his design to fit more of Kerry's style. We have seen beautiful flowers made by him and he does great RI pipework. That would have impressed her more.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm
post #139 of 188

Stevie's cake isn't the worst. I think her's is beautiful.

mackeymom Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm
post #140 of 188
Quote:

I think they have to have a design in mind, how could they not?

Exactly! I was curious how Browin knew to make the candy cane hook thingy when she make a cake about herself for Ultimate Cake challenge! Or the board and motor for the flying superhero she did the next week?

costumeczar Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:46pm
post #141 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenid

I tunned in too late and didn't get to see what happened to Norman, was he dizzy or something? His assistant did an outstanding job, that was my favorite cake out of all.

I think that Norm was having a mild stroke, and that they only figured it out later. He's recovered, but didn't he leave his business recently? I had heard that he had decided to close due to health reason, so maybe that was it. I assume that Zane is now running the business, I checked out the website but it doesn't say anything about it. I don't remember where I read that he wasn't going to be doing cakes anymore, but I'm sure I read it in some newsletter or something "official." I hope he's doing okay, he's a nice guy.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:49pm
post #142 of 188

OK, I laughed through the entire thing. I think Stevie let her feelings for Kerrie come through in the cake. Manic is the best word I can think of to describe her. The mixer shot was the best. I have it on my computer and plan to watch it whenever I need a good laugh. As for the winning cake, I do not think the colors were to pale. Who says a cake has to slap you in the face with color? I felt like Zanes cake was the most like Kerrie and I dont think Buddy had any intention of winning. Speaking of Buddy, I cannot wait to watch his show this week and watch the bridezilla distroy a cake.

farmersbell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmersbell Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:59pm
post #143 of 188
Quote:

But seriously, is there anyone who really expects to eat anything that comes out of those challenges anymore? Does anyone really think that Kerry Vincent was looking forward to eating "her" birthday cake?

And what person in the world never had a birthday cake before? WTF?

I will tell you that, I have not had a birthday cake in memory. I have seen a picture of my twin brother and I with a cake on or around my first birthday. But I don't ever remember having one. I came from very humble surroundings and not much emphasis was put on any of our birthdays.

That's probably part of the reason I was drawn to cake decorating. It seemed so fantastic that someone would put so much time and effort into something that was just going to be eaten! It is completely impractical and wonderful! Something beautiful and fleeting just for the sake of the recipient! It's probably the reason why I go so overboard with my own children's cakes. Both my Children's first birthday cakes were/is going to be a tiered affair with cupcakes, fondant etc...

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:11pm
post #144 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianocat

Will anyone who saw that show ever want to eat any cake done by Stevie??? I personally thought Zane should have won-but I like Jason's cake and methods. Maybe we all should write to FN and suggest some names-like Indy and Edna-they would add drama as well as good cakes.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm
post #145 of 188
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly! I was curious how Browin knew to make the candy cane hook thingy when she make a cake about herself for Ultimate Cake challenge! Or the board and motor for the flying superhero she did the next week?

On non-mystery client challenges, they know the theme and can plan ahead. That's how the have everything cut exactly how they need it and everything. But on mystery client shows, they have to tailor their cake to the client. I'm sure they have a basic form in mind, but no idea how they will decorate it until they meet the client. (In theory, at least!)

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:22pm
post #146 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyracing

i have seen many people set alcohol on fire and it does give a pretty flame on it...

Did anyone notice though how much alcohol she used? WAY to much.

I felt bad because anyone who's ever been in a room once a fire extinguisher has been used knows that dust goes EVERYWHERE!

I bet you people in the back row walked out covered in fine dust from it, and the cakes closest to it had to have a pretty thick coating of it. UGH what a way to end a challenge.

It wouldn't surprise me if after this there's a new rule about open flame, and what you are lighting... honestly her doing that could have turned into a much bigger problem and a very dangerous one at that.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:25pm
post #147 of 188
Quote:
Quote:

Her whole attitude of not caring what the kitchen looked like was a reflection on her work habits and I'd question anything that came out of her kitchen as far as food safety and cleanliness was concerned.

You know who I feel the worst for... the FN clean up crew that had to clean her kitchen up.

costumeczar Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:38pm
post #148 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

OK, I laughed through the entire thing. I think Stevie let her feelings for Kerrie come through in the cake. Manic is the best word I can think of to describe her. The mixer shot was the best. I have it on my computer and plan to watch it whenever I need a good laugh. As for the winning cake, I do not think the colors were to pale. Who says a cake has to slap you in the face with color? I felt like Zanes cake was the most like Kerrie and I dont think Buddy had any intention of winning. Speaking of Buddy, I cannot wait to watch his show this week and watch the bridezilla distroy a cake.

Oooh, yay, isn't that on tonight? Can't wait for the psycho bride with the pastry bag! I wonder what that scene is like in context..How did she get her hands on a pastry bag?

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:48pm
post #149 of 188

I believe Norman said, at a class back in March, that he already had the stroke when that was taped, but was still having some ill effects from it. He looked good and was all upbeat and running around like a chicken with his head cut off... don't know anything about the shop being closed though...

mackeymom Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:59pm
post #150 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon100

Quote:
Quote:

On non-mystery client challenges, they know the theme and can plan ahead. That's how the have everything cut exactly how they need it and everything. But on mystery client shows, they have to tailor their cake to the client. I'm sure they have a basic form in mind, but no idea how they will decorate it until they meet the client. (In theory, at least!)

OOOOHHHHHHH! Gotcha! I was wondering if they just cruz around the country with random cake construction parts ready to whip together at a moments notice! Ha ha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%