How And When Do You All Add Color To Your Fondant?

Decorating By mareg Updated 15 Jan 2007 , 5:05pm by Sugarflowers

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 4

I know this has been asked before.... but when do you add your fondant color. I find after its been made to add color is really hard to fold in. Is there a secret trick?? thanks!

3 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 4

I add mine after making.

but....

instead of kneading it like dough....

i "pull" it like making taffy.

much easier and faster -- (less stress on hands too)

1)pull into long rope.
2) fold rope over itself in thirds
3) twist
4) repeat steps 1-3 until well blended

also find have less problem w/ it stretching too much, etc as it is already stretched from the pulling.

lkfarley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkfarley Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 4

I have been told that if you are coloring the whole batch one color to add before you kneed, and if you are spliting the batch to add color after it has been kneeded. I have only worked with MMF and have added it in small batches after it is done mixing. The MMF takes color well and it seems to be fairly easy to mix color into. Hope this helps! Leslie

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 4

If you are making your own fondant, add color during the cooking/mixing process. It's much easier to regulate how much color for multiple batches also.

Use the gel colors when you make your own, powdered colors don't always dissolve and might leave specks. Sometimes this looks really cool, other times it's a problem.

A combination of powdered and gel colors will do well when the fondant is already made.

HTH

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%