How To Pipe Balls??

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 25 Jan 2014 , 1:52pm by Gowda24

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 15

Without them looking like Hershey kisses!!!???? I seem to get that pointy top regardless of stopping pressure before pulling up and regardless of whether my icing is thick or medium.

I decided to use Indydebi's icing and I'd say it's pretty thick--I am using the same bag that I used to pipe my filling dams but I still cannot get a clean ball! Is it still not thick enough??

14 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 15

I've never mastered this skill, so I let the frosting crust and then pat down the point. It also helps if you're releasing all pressure on the piping bag before pulling away from the ball.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 15

When you stop the pressure pulll off to the side instead of directly pulling away. If it still leaves a little point put some corn starch on your finger and then press it down, this way it won't stick to your finger.

HTH,
Kat

ericaplh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaplh Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 15

I've never mastered this either, so I take a wet paintbrush and lightly tap it on the top of the ball and it rounds out the point with no problem...

HTH

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 15

I can't seem to do it either...always a little pointy and have to pat it down. I also have issues getting them all to look uniform. Any tips on that all you pros out there? icon_smile.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:06am
post #6 of 15

yes you can tap the points down once the icing is crusted. or you could pipe in a shell motion to look like a string of pearls or you could stiffen your BC icing enough to actually roll the balls in your hand and place on the cake.

Gowda24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gowda24 Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 15

AYeah, all these suggested help, but if you really want balls, you can get bags with valve nozzles. They cut it clean with no point.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 15

one way to pipe it where it comes out perfect is to use royal icing--this is so gratifying to do--it's amazingly perfect--just get your royal the right consistency--after making the royal the usual way take some out and add enough water to thin it to where when you pipe some back into the icing bowl and count to 5 or ten -- it is all dissolved back into the bowl smooth--i'll go look up the count--it's in t garrett's book--brb--

then when you pipe straight onto the side of the cake the point just drips right back into itself and the ball of icing holds like a pearl of great price-- sweet!

but to take it a step further if you add some gum arabic to the royal--it's just an edible powder costs a few bucks--the dots pipe out shinier -- a little pearl-y looking-- bam!

so with one one authoritative squeeze of the bag you get the perfect shape and a beautiful sheen and you are master of your cake universe and possibly beyond :lol: take a deep breath feels so good--

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 15

hmm--can't find the count in the book now--anyhow it's just a little extra water added -- so much fun

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 15

I use a wet fingertip.  Similar to katwomen but with water . Works wonderfully.

jessicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicake Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 1:32pm
post #11 of 15

K8memphis,

you are a fount of cake knowledge! 

Thank you for always sharing!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrlt2000 

Without them looking like Hershey kisses!!!???? I seem to get that pointy top regardless of stopping pressure before pulling up and regardless of whether my icing is thick or medium.

I decided to use Indydebi's icing and I'd say it's pretty thick--I am using the same bag that I used to pipe my filling dams but I still cannot get a clean ball! Is it still not thick enough??

You have really tackled on of the hardest piping skills here.  You have several good recommendations here.  Good Luck.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 9:42pm
post #13 of 15

thank you, jessicake, very sweet of you

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 11:24pm
post #14 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gowda24 

Yeah, all these suggested help, but if you really want balls, you can get bags with valve nozzles. They cut it clean with no point.

So I looked up/tried to look up valve nozzles. Couldn't find them. Where do I get them? I'll buy them yesterday if they'll help give me non-tippy balls.

Gowda24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gowda24 Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 1:52pm
post #15 of 15

Ahttp://www.google.com/patents/US20090127287

This is the copy of the patent

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%