Pricing A Fake Cake

Business By luelue1971 Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 12:32am by FromScratch

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 6

I have a friend that works at a local hospital to ask me to quote a fake replica of the hospital along with 10 11x15 sheet cakes.

How do I go about calculating how much to charge for a fake cake? and how do I go about making it?

I've already quoted her the sheets.

5 replies
bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 6

what's the cost of the materials - the dummies - the frosting - any other supplies you may use - how much do you want to earn per hour for your time - dummies go together just as any other stacked cake - just skip the supports between the layers - they are solid enough to support one another.....

as a general rule - dummies don't cost that much less than real cake - usually the cake is the cheapest part - people pay for time and talent......

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 6

I charge the same as I do for a real cake.

The cost of the dummies (plus shipping) is equivalent to the cost of ingredients for a cake. It takes me the same amount of time and materials to decorate a fake cake as it does for a real one.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I charge the same as I do for a real cake.

The cost of the dummies (plus shipping) is equivalent to the cost of ingredients for a cake. It takes me the same amount of time and materials to decorate a fake cake as it does for a real one.

AMEN! and the same amount of gas in your van to deliver it, etc. etc. etc.

They are not paying for the cake. They are paying for the time and talent to create the illusion they want for their special event.

froglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froglover Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 6

We take the normal servings divide that in half and charge the basic cake price. EX. 50 servings divided by 2 is 25 servings times that by the basice price for your cakes. We do this to try to give people a break but after reading the other posts we may think twice. HMMMMMMM

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:32am
post #6 of 6

I charge 80% the cost of what it would be in real cake. Dummies cost me a lot less than actually making the cakes (between the premium ingredients that go into my scratch cakes and the baking time) so that's why I discount a little. I'm actually going to change this though... to 90%. It's the same amount of work no matter what it's on. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%