When Do You Refrigerate A Cake?

Decorating By Tina_Pnut Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 5:43am by Rylan

Tina_Pnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tina_Pnut Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 5

Does a cake with fresh fruit have to be refrigerated?

4 replies
blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 5

Me personally yes. It will help to keep the fruit from ripening too soon and going bad.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 5

What kind of fruit? And what else is in the filling? If you're cooking down the fresh fruit (which I'd assume you're NOT, hence FRESH...), no. If there's a cream filling topped with fresh fruit, yes. If it's just sliced strawberries, probably not, but that's not something you want sitting around long... Cherries, strawberries, apricots, peaches: all these will release some of their juices and make your cake soggy if left sitting too long, refrigerated or not. Refrigeration might slow it some, but from a food safety standpoint (AND PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG), I don't think it HAS to be refrigerated.

There's probably others with some more advice, but I would at least put some buttercream over the cake where the fruit will be sitting, just to keep it from seeping as much. Keeping it cool will help keep it from bleeding out, but won't stop it. And don't leave it out on the porch in the 90 degree weather... icon_wink.gif

Anyway, hope you find the answers you need! Good luck!

Tina_Pnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tina_Pnut Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:28am
post #4 of 5

Its fresh strawberries baked in the cake

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:43am
post #5 of 5

I think once strawberry is baked on cake, it wouldn't be defined as fresh fruit.

I will just refrigerate just in case.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%