Not My Favourite Part Of Teaching

Lounge By AverageMom Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 12:13am by ntertayneme

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 10

Parents are making me NUTS!!! It is 2 days until exams. It is now TOO LATE to be calling me, begging for mercy for your loser kid. They are faiiling for a reason! Doing the class over will be the best thing for them! When you go off to a job after high school, is Mommy still going to call in asking for forgiveness for you?!
End rant. Thank you!

9 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageMom

Parents are making me NUTS!!! It is 2 days until exams. It is now TOO LATE to be calling me, begging for mercy for your loser kid. They are faiiling for a reason! Doing the class over will be the best thing for them! When you go off to a job after high school, is Mommy still going to call in asking for forgiveness for you?!
End rant. Thank you!

It's really sad when educators start referring to their students as "losers" icon_sad.gif

I'm usually the first person to defend you guys since I have 2 teachers in my family and my daughter is an Education major in college, but your comments really shocked me.

Hopefully not all teachers feel the way you do.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 10

I was so turned off by this post. Ok I can understand that parents waited but why is a teacher calling kids losers? I pray my children never get someone like this!

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 10

Okay, I might have worded it a bit too strongly. The kids aren't losers. They ARE failing, and it is their own fault. I also blame the parents for enabling the kids all their lives. These parents have not called, or shown up to meetings, or shown any interest in my program until now. And all of the sudden they are calling to tell me what brilliant children they have birthed. I do love the students. Really! I give my time, my phone number, my heart and my soul. I do NOT give free passes.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 10

I'm glad that you clarified what you meant because that did not sound pretty at all. It can be frustrating trust me I know I use to teach and I quit because of the parents. I loved the children but the parents got on my nerve. I just loved how when it was parent teacher conference I would have only two parents show up.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 10

Wow, what a cold hearted person you are. I pray to God that my children won't have a teacher like you. I am so angry right now by reading your post, I want to just yell at you!

The school system is failing for a reason. And it isn't the students. It is due to teachers just like you. Maybe the children are failing because their teacher doesn't care about them, show an interest, and is too busy sitting on her high horse to help. I had teachers just like you in high school, who were too busy looking down their noses at everyone else to actually teach, stay after school to help with assignments, etc. A kid coming and asking for help is a loser.

Get a heart. And please, please change jobs. You don't need to be influencing our kids.

And have a great weekend. icon_sad.gif

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 10

And, maybe you shouldn't be asking us for help with your cakes. According to your standards, it's your own fault they look the way they do.

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:02am
post #8 of 10

Wow, harsh words... from the responses!! I'm married to a teacher, so I understand what the OP is going through. It's frustrating, and she's just venting. I'm sure she doesn't regularly call her students losers. Haven't you ever said something just in a vent that you normally wouldn't say? I sure have! Let's lay off her and let her vent.

I've heard a lot of frustrating parent stories this year. My "favorite" is that my DH caught a student cheating (blatant cheating- just laid his study sheet in the middle of the aisle, not even trying to hide it!). When DH called the parents, the mom had the nerve to say "Well, maybe you shouldn't have given a test on a Monday." Excuse me?! Did you just accuse my husband for your child cheating?! Maybe I wouldn't call him a loser, but I'd call him a brat!

**Putting flame-suit on**

Note to OP: You're probably going to get a lot of harsh responses, so you might want to think about changing that word in your first post. A lot of people are going to respond without even reading your 2nd post because they'll be so angry.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:07am
post #9 of 10

Um.... I think the original post was written in haste as a vent. It was clear that she was upset with a few parents that enable their child to feel that they are entitled to everything, and should not have to work for it. I read it as she made herself available, but the kids didn't take advantage of the help, just wanted to drift because mommy & daddy would contact the teacher and get them a passing grade. She chose to type the word loser to describe only those kids and then posted later that she was upset and didn't really mean that.
I have read some posts here about clients that give us trouble with cakes and calling them "losers" would be really mild compared to what they have been called.

This is the end of the school year. We are closing ourselves into unairconditioned rooms that sometimes reach 90 degrees and most of the classroom teachers are putting in 12 hour days, every day and then taking the lap top home to do more work, and grading papers etc.

I agree she should not have said "loser" I bet ya dollars to donuts the students have called her a LOT worse, stuff I can not print here. Every teacher I know who teachers upper grades has been screamed at, cursed at and called unprintable things by both the students and the parents. Our society has become very accepting of this behavior towards teachers. I work in a community that is upper middle class suburb and believe me it happens here all the time.

I love teaching and I have a real passion for it. Even though I have a great career I see the way it is changing and would NEVER encourage my own children to teach. They can work with kids in other ways.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:13am
post #10 of 10

And on that note, because statements are getting harsh, I feel it would be best to lock this topic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%