Which Turn Table You Use??

Decorating By verosuperstar Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 4:46am by Franluvsfrosting

verosuperstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verosuperstar Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:24am
post #1 of 30

Hello there,

I just started my cake bussiness and buy everything local craft stores. Idon't know where else to buy. I want I turn table to ice and decorate the cakes. I saw the wilton ones, they have 2: the "professional turn table" (wich is made of metal)and the tilting turn table (wich is made of plastic). I like the tilting one, but I'm affraid it won't hold a big heavy cake. I have a 50% off coupon and don't want to use it to buy one and doesn't work. Does any body has any suggestion?

thanks,

Veronica

29 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:26am
post #2 of 30

I have an Ateco one (cast iron stand and metal turntable) which seems similar to the Wilton professional...I"d definitely go for the professional one.

ILE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:30am
post #3 of 30

i also have the professional one for years no problem with it.

Scrumptious Creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scrumptious Creations Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:36am
post #4 of 30

Don't buy Wilton. I had the tilting Wilton turntable and it came close to dumping a few of my cakes. Certainly don't use it anymore. thumbs_up.gif Since I work in a kitchen store I have heard many others with similar stories. I suggest the Ateco metal one if you can afford it thumbs_up.gif or a wooden one that Ikea makes. Drawback on Ikea it is low on the table and prefer one that lifts the cake up to save your back. Hope that helps.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:40am
post #5 of 30

My wilton gives me fits. ( ok it does turn and cakes dont slide on the surface) It is not level and thows me off every time. I use my lazy susan most of the time.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:45am
post #6 of 30

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017Z25AK/?tag=cakecentral-20

I have this. It's heavy, sturdy, wonderful. I wish I had a second one though.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:47am
post #7 of 30

I have the plain Wilton and I've never had a problem with it, I hate Wilton but I can really lie about it, I got it with my first Wilton class 5 years ago and still works but it's not the tilted one.

verosuperstar Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:34am
post #8 of 30

Thank you all for your oppinions. They both are $69.99 each one. They are not cheap that's why I was unsure if to buy it or not.

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:41am
post #9 of 30

I bought the cheap Wilton one, I think it was like 12.99 or something. It's made of plastic and it does not tilt. I was nervous of getting the tilting one, it seemed dangerous. ANyway... I haven't had any problem with the one I got. I've made a total of 5 wedding cakes, 4 had a 12 in round or square and the last one was a 16 in square, no problems here!

Good luck!

miny Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:15am
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariela_ms

I bought the cheap Wilton one, I think it was like 12.99 or something. It's made of plastic and it does not tilt.

Yeap, that's the one I have, couldn't remember how much I paid but sounds about right!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:57am
post #11 of 30

I have the cheap Wilton one too. It works fine.

I don't use the turntable that much anymore...I've figured out a trick for getting my fondant nice on the bottom edge but it doesn't work on the turntable.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:50am
post #12 of 30

I use the cheap wilton turntable too! I'm on my second one, the first one rusted (ball bearings on the bottom) after a few years. I bought the wilton professional one, but it didn't turn smoothly and appeared to be not level when spun??!!, so i returned it. That said, the Ateco's been on my wishlist for awhile now, so if you can afford it, go for it!

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:08pm
post #13 of 30

I purchased the Wilton tilting turntable and returned it after a cake slid off of it. I also purchased (and returned) the Wilton professional one because it did not seem even. I now use the cheap one I bought for a class or a wooden one that was in my cabinet ("lazy Susan")--however, both are low and I want one with some height! icon_cry.gif I may look at the Fat Daddio's or Ateco since people who have purchased them seem pretty happy! Global Sugar Art also has a reversible one (different sizes on top and bottom). All I know is I need a good one that is not low!

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:16pm
post #14 of 30

Fat Daddio is the way to go. Their turntable is great and well worth the money.

salsaman42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salsaman42 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:27pm
post #15 of 30

I also have the Wilton tilting one and it's not made for heavy cakes, almost lost a couple also. I also have an electric one I bought on ebay, it doesn't tilt, but electric is the way to go. It makes it all so easy.....

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:39pm
post #16 of 30

I have a tv turntable - cost me $5 and works a treat!

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:42pm
post #17 of 30

I have the cheap wilton one and the wilton professional turn table. They both work fine for me but I use the cheap $12 one the most. I guess being short the height thing is not a problem for me. LOL

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:56pm
post #18 of 30

I have the Wilton professional and I haven't ever had any problems with it. I guess I'd better get my level out when I get home and make sure it is level. Surely, SURELY I would have figured that out by now! icon_biggrin.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #19 of 30

Try this one! Try this one!

http://www.shop bakers nook.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=1430
(REMOVE spaces in web address, as CC auto changes it.)

I have an Ateco too and it's great, but I find that I use this one most of the time. It was only 15.99 plus shipping, and the retailer was really fast. icon_smile.gif

verosuperstar Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:06pm
post #20 of 30

Where do you get the Ateco one at? I do have one from Wilton when I took the classes but I am tall and it gives me back ache. The Instructor at the classes told us to put it on top of big container but it has to be a flat surface to be able to turn smoothly. I really need a tall turntable.

miny Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:34pm
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaman42

I also have an electric one I bought on ebay, it doesn't tilt, but electric is the way to go. It makes it all so easy.....

Pardon my ignorance but why would you need an electric? I've never seen one, what does it do different than a regular non electric one? icon_redface.gif

hollynme2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollynme2 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:38pm
post #22 of 30

OMG...I tried the IKEA lazy susan for a while, too low. The Wilton one's seemed cheap and flimsy. Then reading the posts in the forum I ordered the Fat Daddio's......WOW. Best investment I ever made. Decorating is a snap now, it's the perfect height too and spins like a dream. If you order it online go thru someone who has free shipping though. I think it's 18 pounds!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:43pm
post #23 of 30

The Ateco cast iron turn table is great! Can absolutely recommend it.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:52pm
post #24 of 30

Wilton professional. I've never had any issues with it. It spins nicely and is really sturdy. It does not tilt. I'm willing to pay the $30 (when using 50% off) for it unlike the more expensive Ateco ones.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:25pm
post #25 of 30

My husband is actually making one for me as we speak. I have a little round plastic Wilton one. But it's too small for the square cakes that I'm making. So we went to Lowe's and bought some wood, a lazy susan, a piece of stone, some screws, and some grout stuff to hold the wood to the stone.

So from the bottom up it will be a piece of wood, lazy susan, piece of wood, grout, stone. It cost about $35. And it's going to be an 18x18 square.

I was just going to order one from Global Sugar because they have some really good ones that you can flip over (rectangle on one side and round on the other side). But it was going to take too long to get it.

I'll let ya know how it turns out!

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:19pm
post #26 of 30

I have the reversible one like on the Global sugar art site and I would highly recommend it. I have the high one. It is wonderful. There is not one downside to it as far as I am concerned. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

salsaman42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salsaman42 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:43pm
post #27 of 30

because elsctric turns all by itself! I ice my cakes with a big bag and the big icing tip. It takes me 2 hands to handle that bag, no hands left to turn the table. Then I keep it sppinning to smoothe out the icing, it's awesome! It also has a variable speed control.

http://www.pastrychef.com/KAROUSEL-ELECTRIC-CAKE-TURNTABLE_p_1010.html

miny Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:19am
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaman42

because elsctric turns all by itself!

Oh, wow that sounds super cool icon_eek.gif and fast. Now I want one! icon_wink.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:22am
post #29 of 30

Fat Daddios....my favorite piece of equipment!

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:46am
post #30 of 30

I have the Ateco cast stand as well. I've put full sheets and completely stacked three tier cakes on it and it still spins smoothly. It was well worth the money.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%