Edible Ink And Frosting Sheets Questions . . .

Decorating By crnadeau Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 2:10am by crnadeau

crnadeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnadeau Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:17am
post #1 of 12

I recently purchased a printer so that I can start doing image cakes. Was wondering where all of you get your edible ink and frosting sheets. Does Joanns carry stuff like this or can I only get this through the mail? Thank you so much for your help!!!

P.S. I got a Canon ip3500 in case you wanted to know.

11 replies
misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:48am
post #2 of 12

I have the same one and I got my ink and my sheets on icingimages.com there where a little bit cheaper than kokykake because I got them with chip included thumbs_up.gif

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:16am
post #3 of 12

That is where I get mine too. They have great customer service.

RosieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosieC Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:38am
post #4 of 12

I get mine from Walkers Online Sales...they are nice to do business with too.

crnadeau Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 12

If I already have the original ink cartridges can't I take the chip off of there and put on the cartridges w/out the chip? I'm trying to get the best price possible since this is my first time and it is basically for practice.

Thanks ladies I know I can count on you!!!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 12

You could give icingimages a call, they can advise you about that. It might be feasible, but if it didn't work, you would be out the time and money for the w/o chip cartridges and still have to buy the with chip ones. icon_sad.gif

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 12

OK - I am new to this Printer idea - and wondering .... You can buy a - lets call it a regular printer and then buy the ink/paper and a "chip" and it becomes ...TaDa.. the image printer you can use on your cakes/cookies?
I have seen them online for 300$ or more.... but a regular printer can be $60 (on the cheap side).. so how does this work?

Please let me in on the secret ! MUCH APPRECIATED ! icon_lol.gif

And correct me if I am way off -

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 12

Kammerude there are certain canon and epson printers that you can buy edible ink cartridges for. Kopykakes website has a list of them.

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 12

You can save shipping costs by buying the frosting edible sheets at Sams club They shell the full sheet pk of 24 for 27.70

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 12

Here is some stuff in PDF from KopyKake. It tells you what ink to buy with what printer. I like the Epson b/c you don't have to mess around with the chip. Plop the ink in and go! And I have let mine sit idle for months at a time, and then go to print something off, and it's perfect. No drying or anything!. Love it!!!!
http://www.kopykake.com/documents/PrinterInks-Xref.pdf

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:08pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Kammerude there are certain canon and epson printers that you can buy edible ink cartridges for. Kopykakes website has a list of them.

Thank you very much - I will take a look !

crnadeau Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:10am
post #12 of 12

I got my printer off of ebay for $40 shipped. It is a brand new printer, never even opened the box. Absolutely great price. It should be here tomorrow. I will try Sam's club. That would be great if I could get them locally. Can you only buy the ink online?

Thanks again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%