Covering A Cake With Fondant ???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 11:23pm by Sassy74

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 4

Hi All!

I'm wanting to try covering a cake with fondant. I have found that people do this different ways. Some just use buttercream icing as a base coat; others use ganche, some use BC icing with piping gel. I would like to know what the majority uses. I know everyone has their own preference and there probably isn't a correct or incorrect way, but I would like to see what the majority uses and try what ever method that is.

Any tips is appreciated...

Thank you in advance...
=)

3 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 4

Hi there, I use buttercream on my cakes most of the time. But recently started using ganache especialy for my chocolate cakes. With ganache you can get a really smooth surface and very easily. icon_biggrin.gif

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 4

I use buttercream until my fondant, but I'm hoping to try ganache soon.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 4

I use buttercream, and a pretty thick layer, too. I do this because most people where I live prefer buttercream, and are reluctant to even try fondant. So, I put enough on that they can peel off the fondant and still have a good layer of buttercream. What I don't like about doing it this way is that it's difficult to get good, crisp edges/corners. So, I'll be trying ganache soon, too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%