Quick Whine

Lounge By Franluvsfrosting Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 3:17pm by kjt

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 14

MY DISHWASHER DIED!!!! You all know what a mess we make when we're caking and my dishwasher won't turn on! It's full of dirty dishes too so now I've got to unload it and wash all of it by hand. My husband said he'd take a look but we really can't affort a new dishwasher right now!!! What makes it worse it the stupid thing is only a couple of years old! I'm never buying a GE appliance again. I already have a not very old GE microwave that doesn't work! Just a very large clock at this point. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Thanks for letting me whine a moment. Guess I'd better go do the dishes. icon_sad.gif

13 replies
Franluvsfrosting Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 14

Okay, if anyone reads this...do you have any recommendations for a good brand of dishwasher? Like I said, I'm steering clear of GE but who is good? Any other brands to steer clear of?

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 14

I don't have any recommendations for you, just wanted to express my sympathies as I know how much I HATE washing dishes!

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 14

Take a deep breath and think about it. You can do this. It doesn't take long to wash dishes if you subtract the procrastination time. Your electric bill and water bill will thank you.

I haven't had a dishwasher in 20 years and I bet I can wash a load of dishes in the same time it took you to load your dishwasher. I fill up the sink with scalding hot water anytime I am going to cook and drop the dishes in as I go. Wash a few, set them in the rack to dry and go from there.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 14

Just a warning that a good many appliances are all made by the same folks. I think it tends to be problems with a certain model than the brand so much.

Did you make sure the breaker isn't switched off? And, if you have a switch (like a light switch) that controls it, is that on?

Franluvsfrosting Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 14

My husband will be looking at it tonight. He's pretty handy so hopefully he'll be able to figure it out. From what I've gathered by searching around online I think the control panel went out and may need to be replaced. If it's something my DH can do it will only cost around $150 for parts. Much as I hate the idea of hand washing dishes it's not like this is an appliance I can't live without (not like the fridge or stove for example). It just really ticks me off that this thing isn't very old and it pooped out with normal family usage. Same thing with the microwave. It's been out for almost a year and I just went and bought a toaster oven. Takes longer but the food tastes better. icon_smile.gif

On the positive side; I have four kids, three of which will be helping with the dishes!
On a bad note; I have four kids who dirty up every dish in the house! lol

I told my husband our new dishwashing technique is to let the dog lick them til they look clean. icon_biggrin.gif Anybody want to come over for dinner? lol

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 14

LOL you're so bad!! icon_lol.gif

Check out your model # for recalls on their website. I have a GE and when I was watching my local news a few months back I noticed my dishwasher had been recalled. It's not that old since we built our house in 2004 and purchased it then.

They gave me a choice either they would come here to replace the part (I can't remember which one it was) or I could take a gift certificate for I believe $150 towards another dishwasher.

OK I just looked and mine is a "GE Profile" Triton- Tri Clean Wash System-Quiet Power II

HTH
Deb

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 14

Whe had problems with our GE dishwasher, too, and of course GE was no help. They told us to go buy some "Dishwasher Magic" and run it a couple of times. That actually got us by for a short while, but around Christmas it died for good. I didn't want to spend the $$$, especially at that time of the year, but since it sucked anyway we went ahead and bought a new one.

We went to Consumer Reports and bought one that was either the #1 or one of the top few. It was NOT the most expensive one, either, which surprised me. It's a Kenmore and was on sale for like $588, but we got the stainless steel one, which was $100 more.

I believe you can get a trial membership to Consumer Reports, or buy just a month's membership for a few dollars. Might be worth it.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 14

We used to subscribe to Consumer Reports, until I realized that I could just go to the library a couple of times a year and research my purchases. icon_smile.gif You can't access their website without a membership, but you can look at the library for free!

Franluvsfrosting Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:45pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks for the tips! Guess what?! I cleared all the dirty dishes out and was cleaning it up a bit so my husband could look at it when he gets home. I threw a couple of pitchers of water in there to clean up some of the dishwasher soap figuring that at least it drains. There were a few things in there that looked "pokeable" so of course poked them! Close the door and push the button...IT WORKS!!!!

Let that be a lesson to me! In the future I will throw water on and poke any non-responding appliances before pronouncing them dead! I am going to begin researching dishwashers though since it seems to be getting more and more finicky. Last week it wouldn't drain, this week it will! Just wants attention I guess. icon_smile.gif

Poor dog is back on dog food!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:46pm
post #11 of 14

I have a new (cheapo) Hotpoint dishwasher, provided by the apartments, and it sucks...I hate it! And I do think it is also made by GE, or GE is made by Hotpoint, they both come from the same place.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:20pm
post #12 of 14

I have a top of the line LG stainless steel and it sucks. It is just barely past it's one year warranty and so far they have replaced the motor, the electrical and the motor has to be replaced again. Since the parts come from overseas, it takes about six weeks to get it fixed each time. I talked to Best Buy where we bought it and told them that I think it falls under the lemon law and I want a new one. They are suppose to look into it. That was last week and I have not heard anything as of today. icon_cry.gif

Franluvsfrosting Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:28am
post #13 of 14

dldbrou, that stinks! I hope you get a new one! I have a friend who insists that Bosch is the best one out there both for how it operates and reliability. In searching around today it seems to be the consensus; that Bosch is the best. Hopefully mine will continue running but if it should quit at least I'll have done some homework and know what I'm looking for. If the dishwashers are anything like the mixers then I'm already sold! Love my Bosch mixer!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:17pm
post #14 of 14

I have a Bosch and absolutely LOVE it thumbs_up.gif ! You really don't have to wash the dishes before loading, and it is super quiet. It's 8 years old. They are on the expensive side, but I went to an appliance outlet store and found this one with a scratch and dent on the side-which is invisible once installed-for about $400. If you can get a Bosch, I heartily recommend them!
Good luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%