Another Buttercream Question - Too Salty?

Decorating By hbloomcamp Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 9:18pm by Cake4ever

hbloomcamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbloomcamp Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 5

I just made a quadruple batch of buttercream and it came out too salty! I used the same recipe I've used multiple times in the past and have never had this problem! Any ideas to cut down the salty taste? Or should I just make another batch to mix it with and hope that cuts it down?

4 replies
solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 5

Wow never had this problem,sorry I can't help but here is a bump.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 5

A couple of things... I know you said you've made it many times, but did you change brands of flavoring, salted butter vs. non (you might not even use butter...) Something little can change the whole flavor profile. I use popcorn salt which is finer grained.

I think your idea of an additional batch to mix into this one is a good idea. Omit any salt in the new batch (probably obvious.) If you have time, allow it to sit at room temp so the flavors can meld and, hopefully, the salt can be distributed evenly throughout.

hbloomcamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbloomcamp Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 5

All of my ingredients are the same, no different brands, etc from the past. At first I thought it was a 'mixing' issue so I let it mix for a little longer...didn't help. I guess my next step is try the batch without salt and mix it in, hoping it cuts down the salty taste. Bad news is that I'm now out of ps!!

The popcorn salt is a great idea, I'll have to try that!

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 5

I never add salt to my BC. If you feel it is necessary, why not use salted butter and leave out regular salt? Just an idea.

If you are using a large grain salt like sea salt or kosher, instead of plain table salt, that might cause some salt issues.

Just throwing out ideas. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%