Help! Please!

Decorating By hollyh Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 2:54pm by ninatat

hollyh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyh Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 8

It seems like every time I make a fondant cake and let it sit overnight I come back in the morning to find the fondant looks kind of wrinkled on the sides and I suspect this may be from the cake bulging. When I finish the cake in the evening the sides are perfectly smooth. Can someone please tell me how they prevent bulging? Please!!!!

7 replies
txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 8

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633571.html

Read this thread it has a good trick to use on preventing 'the bulge'. Good luck.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 8

Make sure you stack your cakes and crumb coat then let them sit over night to settle then apply the fondant and that should take care of it.

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 8

I am fairly new to fondant myself, so I would like to hear what others have to say. I just finished a fondant cake las night which did not bulge. The only differences I can think of between my last bulging fondant cake icon_redface.gif and this one are:
1. This cake was totally defrosted (sat out all day), the last one may not have been.
2. I only put a thin crumb coat on, the last cake I put a regular layer of BC.

Am I on to something or was it only coincidence that I had good results? icon_biggrin.gif

I have heard some people use a chocolate ganache on their cake, and then brush it with cornsyrup to "adhere" the fondant. I have not tried this myself yet, but am wondering if this method gives better results on a consistent basis.

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 8

This is a tip from LEAHS. I have not tried it, but will be trying it the next cake I make!

"Put the cake on a board. Fill. Wrap in plastic wrap. Then put a ceramic tile on top. Wait 2 or 3 hours. The ceramic tile should be about the size of the cake. We have ceramic tile in our house, so there were leftover tiles that are now my cake "tools."

hollyh Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you guys for the help! Hopefully this will be the last cake with this issue!

hollyh Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you guys for the help! Hopefully this will be the last cake with this issue!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:54pm
post #8 of 8

Hi i made a fondant cake for mother's day, and everyone thought it was beautiful, but i don't think anyone had seen a fondant which was in my favor lol, it bulged, but i think part of the problem was i bc'd the sides to thick and it was lumpy, is that what the problem was, i'm going to use the book idea to. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%