Imbc Filling In Stacked Wedding Cakes...worried...pros?

Decorating By cocobean Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 4:19am by dailey

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 10

I'm wanting to use IMBC for filling in stacked wedding cakes. Is it stable enough? Do you just use a stiff bc dam to hold it back? icon_confused.gif Never done this before, but I love the taste of it!

9 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 10

I rarely fill with buttercream, but when I do its always a meringue-based bc. I also don't use anything different to make a "dam" when filling with buttercream. As long as the cake is well-supported, the filling (whether it's BC, jam, pudding, mousse, or whatever) shouldn't matter.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 10

i used smbc for all my cakes and have never used a dam.

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 10

when you fill with mbc does the cake need to be refridgerated. if so, what if the cake is covered wit fondant??

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 10

Are you kidding me you don't use a dam. icon_eek.gif Do you think smbc is more stable than IMBC. I'm really afraid the cake would have a bluge problem just from the weight of the cake (just from torted layer above). Once you start frosting the tier you have some pressure on the cake to and more so when you start smoothing fondant. You still don't get a bluge?

Also what is a meringue based bc. are you talking IMBC?

...ditto on tiawanna's question

I really want to use this filling with confidence.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:14am
post #6 of 10

Meringue based buttercream refers to either IMBC or SMBC (both can be used interchangeably). the ONLY time I use a dam is if there is a loose filling (pudding or an unset mousse) or something with a dark color (raspberry for example) that I don't want getting into the outer frosting. And even then, that dam is made from the IMBC or SMBC I will be frosting the cake with, and is not there to support the layers of cake, it's only there to contain my filling until it has set.

I refrigerate all of my cakes (and they are almost all fondant covered. I torte and fill and then let them settle in the fridge overnight (I will sometimes also frost before this time as well, but that doesn't matter). If there is any bulging after the overnight rest, I can smooth it out then (although I rarely have this problem anymore). I also cover the cake with fondant while it is ice cold and it goes right back into the fridge if I'm not ready to decorate. I've never had problems with bulging after the cake has been covered and I've never had any air bubbles or blowouts doing it this way.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:23am
post #7 of 10

I use IMBC for fillings all the time, and I never use a dam either.

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:23am
post #8 of 10

Does a cake decorated with IMBC HAVE to be kept refrigerated? What about just overnight? This has always had me wondering. TIA
Lori

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:41am
post #9 of 10

I try to refrigerate them if they have the meringue buttercreams, especially if they're stacked. It keeps them from sliding when they're transported, on a practical level, and it makes me feel better about the food spoilage issue. I think that technically you don't have to refrigerate if it's just overnight, but I still feel better keeping them in the fridge.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:19am
post #10 of 10

smbc is fine left out overnight. i usually refridgerate mine though to ensure it is stable for transportation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%