Square Cupcakes

Baking By azbbcakes Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 12:25pm by vivi

azbbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azbbcakes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 14

Can anyone give me information on baking square cupcakes... such as where to get the pans and if there are decorative square wrappers available for them?

I found this place in San Diego www.cupcakessquared.com (really cool) other than this I have had no luck surfing the internet.

I hope I am asking this in the right place?

13 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 14

Try googling "mini compartment pans". I would post the link where I saw the pans, but links to that particular site won't show up on this forum.

I've made small square cakes before, but I just baked a 9x13, cut the edges off, torted and filled, then cut into squares, froze and covered with fondant.

I haven't seen square cupcake wrappers, maybe because the pans are fairly uncommon.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 14

I found this one at global Sugar Art. I know I came across some other ones in this same site , Good luck Hope it helps


Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 14

I use the lego baking mold, it is sylicone and works with out any liners they pop right out, you just have to cut off the little nubbs at the top. you can by them from the lego store.

I made them look like legos for my sons birthday:

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 14

I've been able to ascertain that their cupcakes at Cupcakes Squared are 2.25" x 2.25" X 2.25" and it comes to about 3" tall with the frosting.

The tallest square muffin pan that I've been able to find is 1 5/8ths.

So, if the pan produces a bit of a dome on top it is possible for that to come close to 2" and have another inch of frosting on top????

The next problem is the liner. In one of their pics there's a little boy eating one and on the table in front of him is a pic of the liner and it is in the shape of a plus sign "+"???????

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 14

I think I may have found something that will work for you. It is an investment however.

Global Sugar Art carries it and there are two choices: one that produces a 3x3x4 (although you could adjust the height to 3") and the other that produces a 2x2x2 square. But, that still leaves the wrapper????

Product #20004 and Product #18896


Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 14

I've seen plain white square cupcake lines in AC Moore & Michaels. I think Wilton makes them. I have a large square cupcake pan, but I can't remember where I bought it.

Good Luck!

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 14

The plus shaped liners would probably be custom made. Very cheap if you are buying them in bulk. They don't even look very presentable, just waxed paper.

I wouldn't use those as a wedding cake. Personally I think they look like the dirty greasy paper you have when you line a tin and bake a cake.

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:46pm
post #10 of 14

Sara91 if you look at the cupcakes squared website I think that's exactly what they are doing. It seems to work because the paper is a brown paper??? But, in a couple of pictures the cupcakes look as if they are wrapped with something???? Maybe two different sizes of ribbon even???

I just am dying to know where they get their pans and liners from. I would love to do this because it's so unique and the cupcake craze is, "IN".



sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:07pm
post #11 of 14

Like I said, they probably have them custom made, that way they are unique, not available in every shop for the public.
This is their competitive edge.
I have had a look at their website and can see that they have had their business name printed on the papers.

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:39pm
post #12 of 14

I have a square cupcake pan. If you use regular liners- they conform to the square shape of the pan.
I have this pan-

But I bought it Kohls for much cheaper.

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vivi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vivi Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:25pm
post #14 of 14

I also have the square pan and the regular liners work just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%