Shoule I Make A Cake For Funeral

Decorating By ninatat Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 1:15pm by pbeckwith

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:30pm
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Sadly, I'm leaving for a funeral right now for the best man that was in our wedding. He's been fighting some form of cancer for years even though he was told he only had months to live. His birthday was Sunday (7th), so I made a tiny cake for him last Friday for his wife to bring to the hospital. She called to thank me for helping to make his last birthday a special one... he passed away two days after his birthday on the 9th. I'm so glad I got the opportunity to do something special for him while he was still with us... she said he really enjoyed the cake.

This about broke my heart. I'm so glad you were able to do something special for him and his poor wife.

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:47pm
post #32 of 38

I have one cake that i do if asked for a funeral, it is iced in white/ivory bc and then i put white/ivory roses around the top edge with the leaves in the same color and a simple border on the bottom. I have never used words simply because the roses are so pretty and the cake doesn't seem to need any words, but would put a simple statement if asked. hope this helped.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:55am
post #33 of 38

MrsMabe wrote:
"This about broke my heart. I'm so glad you were able to do something special for him and his poor wife."

Aww... thanks so much for your kind and compassionate words. I just posted a pic of the tiny cake that brought him so much joy. His wife said he shared his cake and they got three servings from it! He's deeply missed and no longer suffering.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1393269.html

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #34 of 38

Unlimited

I saw your cake when it was originally posted and thought it was great and did comment on it and put it in my favorites. Now knowing more of the story makes that little cake just that much more beautiful. I can she why the gentleman was so thrilled about his cake and what a precious memory for you to keep.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:25am
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

Unlimited

I saw your cake when it was originally posted and thought it was great and did comment on it and put it in my favorites. Now knowing more of the story makes that little cake just that much more beautiful. I can she why the gentleman was so thrilled about his cake and what a precious memory for you to keep.

Aww, thanks. I've added a bit more of the story into my description (nothing that you haven't already read here... I'm happy you enjoyed the sentiment behind it.) "Precious memories for me"-- Wow, a great way to desdribe it... I never considered it that way. You're so right! I only considered the other people, but I will always have that for me... a powerful message of peace. I'm going to quote you on the next funeral card that I send. Thank you so much for your input and kind words.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 9:54am
post #36 of 38

My Mother dies in December & this thread has me in tears......we had so much food and plenty of cakes but I know everyone would have appreciated a special decorated cake no matter what was on it......it's the thought that counts.

Lazysuze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazysuze Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:42am
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

I'm very sorry about your daughter Bluehue. I'm sorry, I guess I'm just oversensitive when it comes to funerals. My moms funeral was one of the hardest days of my life, I was 16, and it's surprising what people say within earshot of a child. "I bet she got breast cancer because she had children so late in life." I'm the youngest of three.

Tinygoose, I know exactly what you mean. I too was 16 when my mum died of breast cancer, and some years later I was told by a close aquaintance when her very elderly mum died, that it wasn't as bad for me as I hadn't known my mum that long!

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:15pm
post #38 of 38

I always to a funeral cake. I do a chocolate cake, buttercream with the chocolate ganache dripping over the top. There's something about all that chocolate!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%