Sam's Club Icing

Decorating By misserica Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 3:51pm by sweetiesbykim

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 73

I just wanted to ask your opinion on the tub of icing.
I bought a bucket last week...I hate it! Its so sweet and it has so many bubbles in it.
When I asked the lady if they use Bettercreme she said yes and said they sold it by the bucket. Ding dong me! The bucket had a generic label on it and I buy it after asking 3 times "this is Bettercreme right?" they assure me it is....oopsy daisy NOT BETTERCREME! Now I have a bucket of Sam's club icing...I made a ton of cupcakes with it and gave it to my neighbors but I still have a ton left. Eek, lesson learned!!

72 replies
bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 73

I'd return it, they told you it was bettercreme...it isnt.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 73

When I have used the Sam's icing, I fill my KA mixing bowl to the top. I add flavoring, butter and vanilla for generic icing, and salt. Mix on low for about 10 minutes. It is not my dream icing, but I can work with it in a pinch. I made a last minute cake last week and the teacher's I baked it for loved the icing and one even said it was better than Sam's. Try that with yours and see if you can get something closer to your liking. Bettercream it is not. Oh, also, the bettercream bucket is smaller and is refridgerator cold. HTH

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 73

What's the difference between BC & Bettercream?

jlynnw Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 73

bEttercream is like stabilized whipped topping

bUttercream is made with a fat (butter or crisco) and powder sugar

ailika Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 73

So can bettercreme be use just like buttercream and can you keep it out as long as BC?

samarinbooboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samarinbooboo Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 73

is this only at sam's that have a bakery?

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 73

BEttercreme can only be left out AFTER it's on your cake or cupcakes. Otherwise it needs to be frozen. Sams does sell bettercreme by the bucket, too.

I LOVE their buttercream, though. It's always super smooth, it crusts well, and my customers love it. I get soooo many compliments on my icing icon_smile.gif I also add flavorings to it. Their buttercream is shelf stable, so it doesnt need refrigeration.

With both bettercreme and buttercream you need to ask for it at the bakery counter. At Sams without a bakery, I've seen it on the floor under the tables of the bakery type items (muffins, cookies, etc).

samarinbooboo Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 73

I don't think I have ever seen this at my local sams. how much does this normally run? Thanks for telling me about this stuff.

ailika Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:04pm
post #10 of 73

Thank you

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:21pm
post #11 of 73

the But'R'Cream runs about $32 a bucket and the Bettercream is about $18 a bucket in Arkansas. i wanted to get some Bettercream but don't have the freezer space for it. i also saw a thread on here that they are going to discontinue keeping a stock of icing for sale. you will have to place an order for it....might want to find that on this website.

jlynnw Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:31pm
post #12 of 73

some of the Sam's do not want to sell the icing and will give you any excuse as to why they can't sell it. Ask for a manager and you should ALWAYS be able to pick up a bucket of either one.

samarinbooboo Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:35pm
post #13 of 73

that is awesome. thanks for telling me that. I will check with my local sams. Thanks for the info.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:38pm
post #14 of 73

I guess I'm the minority because once I went Sam's, I never looked back! What a treat to grab a bucket to frost cakes, cupcakes, etc. instead of having to make batch after batch of icing in my KA. Sam's is universally loved and what pushed me to buy it was EVERYONE saying my icing was too sweet.

This kinds frosts my.....bum icon_smile.gif because icing, by definition is sugar and fat, so it's going to be sweet. I have made every icing known to mankind, Sugarshack (family didn't care for it but it handled beautifully), IndyDeb (this was the best of the bunch), every SMBC or IMBC, Whimsical Bakehouse (too greasy) and on down the line.

Everyone who has tasted the Sam's likes it and I have cut it 50/50 with pastry pride for lighter cake preferences (doesn't smooth as well) and my only complaint about Sam's is once on a cake, I think it looks somewhat dingy (for lack of a better word.)

It's white but only until you hold something white against it - then it looks ivory. But this is something I can live with, lol, cuz I ain't goin' back to making icing anytime soon! And the Sam's fudge icing is insane. I use it as filiing, etc. and it smooths beyond beautifully.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:59pm
post #15 of 73

Likely the person at Sam's thought Bettercreme and Buttercream were one and the same, or thought you had a quirky way of saying buttercream! It's like a nearby city here in Virginia - Norfolk - a lot of people (not locals) pronounce it Norfork! Where in the world do they get that second R? jlynnw - I'll have to keep your doctored up version of Sam's in mind, because I know my local Sam's does not sell Bettercreme, and if you asked for it, they would give you buttercream. And I need a lower priced source of ready made for when I'm cramped for time - the stuff at my local cake supplier is tasty, but she is expensive.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:03pm
post #16 of 73

Does Costco carry this, too? I can never find it. Where is it?

CakeLadyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadyM Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:16pm
post #17 of 73

Ok, so what y'all are saying is you can buy their buckets of BUttercream and it crusts, too? REALLY?! icon_smile.gif

Wow...that would save so much time and money! What brand frosting is it again?

Seriously though---does it truly crust up so you can Viva it?

Also, can anyone describe the BEttercream? Is it like marshmallow creme? I asked the lady at the deli for a pound of it, and I could swear what she sold me was COOL WHIP!!! icon_mad.gif

kizzy_100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kizzy_100 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:31pm
post #18 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeLadyM

Also, can anyone describe the BEttercream? Is it like marshmallow creme? I asked the lady at the deli for a pound of it, and I could swear what she sold me was COOL WHIP!!! icon_mad.gif

Well, yeah...Bettercream is essentially commercial Cool Whip, that being a nondairy whipped topping. Bettercream is stiffer, though.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:13pm
post #19 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeLadyM

Ok, so what y'all are saying is you can buy their buckets of BUttercream and it crusts, too? REALLY?! icon_smile.gif

Wow...that would save so much time and money! What brand frosting is it again?

Seriously though---does it truly crust up so you can Viva it?

The Sam's But'R'Cream frosts smoothly to me (of course i add flavoring to it) so maybe that thins it a little and changes the consistency. you have to stir it pretty good. for best results put in the mixer and beat it before you frost your cakes. It crusts great, and you can Viva it. It's sweet, but not the sweetest of the sweet and even if you don't care for it, people love it. They especially love the Bettercream (whipped frosting) and it's hard to convince some people to buy your cake over Sam's cake.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:24pm
post #20 of 73

Well since I have a bucket of it I am going to try mixing it they way you all have suggested. And I paid $32 and yet the bakery manager who I spoke to on the phone said "yes we sell Bettercreme and it is $18". Jokes on me I should have paid more attention.

For those of you who do mix it with different things...for flavoring are you using Lorann's? Or adding clear vanilla?

The one she gave me is But-r-creme and I specifically asked the bakery manager when I called if I could purchase "Bettercreme" (I am in NJ and we do have a funky way of saying things but I was super clear on the BETTER part because it is a non dairy icing and I can not eat dairy).

jlynnw Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:56pm
post #21 of 73

When I flavor mine, I use whatever I have on hand. Watkins vanilla, lorans, different emulsions, lemon curd, Just whatever flavor I would make, I use the Sam's for a base.

The bettercream is so versatile. There is a thread on here on all the ways to use it. Once you experiment with it, you will find it is amazing. It is great for light desserts and cream puff filling. That is what Sam's, WalMart and many chain stores use as well.

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:13pm
post #22 of 73

For those who have used the Bettercreme, how long do you find it stays stable, I am wondering would this work on a cake for a hot July day, considering the trasportation in warm auto, in and out of different temps.
I like the taste just not sure how it holds up And also if I frost the cakes the day before do I need to ref. those cakes. it would be hard to refrig a 16 in square in my frig. I do not have a walk in cooler( wish I did).
I would appreicate any help and thoughts

Thanks

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:13pm
post #23 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by misserica

For those of you who do mix it with different things...for flavoring are you using Lorann's? Or adding clear vanilla?

The one she gave me is But-r-creme and I specifically asked the bakery manager when I called if I could purchase "Bettercreme" (I am in NJ and we do have a funky way of saying things but I was super clear on the BETTER part because it is a non dairy icing and I can not eat dairy).

I too have that HUGE bucket of icing from Sam's. It does a mighty large amount of cupcakes, and cakes. I did get the Bettercreme, though and when I asked for it at the bakery the girl thought I said Butter, so I stressed that I wanted the Whipped one, and she got me the right one.

To flavor it, it depends on what cake I'm doing. I use lime juice or extracts or even loran oils. I even fold my fruit curd into it and use it as a filling. My only problem with the bettercreme, is making sure that it has few bubbles in it.

I have over whipped it when adding flavorings, and just brought it back to life with some heavy cream (saw tip on the bettercreme thread here on cc) thumbs_up.gif

karizkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karizkakes Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:24pm
post #24 of 73

I've always wanted to try bEttercream, but didn't know where to buy it! Thanks for all the tips and advice. I'm off to find the bEttercream thread!!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:27pm
post #25 of 73

I'll have to march myself down to SAM'S and pick up a bucket of the BEttercreme. I used to see the But-R-Creme by the bakery isle under a table. They had an assortment of colors. I dont see them anymore. I guess maybe they moved them or something. I'll have to check again and try the BEttercreme.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:27pm
post #26 of 73

Misserica; I don't think Sams calls what we call bEttercream "bettercream" but I only have the But-R-cream so I can't tell you what they call it for sure.

I think if you specifically ask for the "Whipped Icing" you'll have better luck. And I think you paid for Bettercream and got But-R-cream. I only pay $18 a bucket for mine so I think you should get some $$ back.....talk to a manager if you have to.

I only use the But-R-cream for decorating (not covering the entire cake) so flavor isn't too much of an issue - I only use black, red and green since those colors are hard to make.

I learned it's not a good idea to try to buy icing and such at Sams right before a big holiday (last time I went was the week of Easter).....they don't want to leave themselves short for their own orders so they will tell you they don't have enough stock to sell.

karizkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karizkakes Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:20pm
post #27 of 73

OH, I might try that! Only using the Sam's Buttercream for the darker colors and using mine for lighter colors or white. Great idea!!

KathyTW Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:27pm
post #28 of 73

It works great for me that way! I only need to store a few buckets instead of quite a few.

Also, for those who asked - you cannot get any decorating supplies from the Costco bakery (except plain undecorated cakes, and that can be difficult!)

CakeLadyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadyM Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:47pm
post #29 of 73

I know this is a bit off topic---but will Sam's sell you an undecorated cake slab? Or can you buy them somewhere else?

Might be good to have for emergencies...just a thought! icon_redface.gif

*back on topic*

KathyTW Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #30 of 73

I think I read somewhere in another post that you can buy frozen sheet cakes from Sams by the case.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%