Please Help... So Confused

Business By Destinys_Delights Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 11:11pm by Evoir

Destinys_Delights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destinys_Delights Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 10

Hi fellow CC members. I am so confused right now and I need a little guidence from people who have experienced what I am going through now. I am in the process of trying to open up my own home bakery and I am a little confused on a couple of things.
1) I am trying to get together my kitchen for the inspection and I don't really know what they are looking for, and I am scared that it will not pass. I do have a separate cabinet area that I have everything in and I have labels on the containers and my house is clean. I also have read where a couple of people said they had to fill out a packet before the inspector comes. I have contacted the health Dept but they didn't give me any packet to fill out.
2) I also read that you have to put ingredient labels on the cake boxes. Does anyone have a templete on that? I don't really know where to start. Do you have to have a separate one for the cake and the icing. (I use box mix, but make icing from scratch).
3) I was told by my city that I can not have any customers come to my house, but I want to get payments before I deliver the cake. Does anyone have a suggestion how I could collect the money with out having to meet up in random parking lots to pick up deposits.
4) do I have to get commercial insurance on my car when I will only be delivering maybe 8 cakes a month.
If anyone can help me with this please and thank you so much! icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 10


yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 10

all i can tell you is about the payment methos. paypal is a great way to receive payments and soooo easy.

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 10

wish i could help but i have no idea but here is a bump anyway.

Destinys_Delights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destinys_Delights Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 10

I know this might sound like a crazy question but this is the first time I have wrote on the forum, can some one please explain to me what "bump" means.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 10

Bump means to post something just to keep the topic "bumped up" to the top of the forum list, where the most people will see it and be able to give you a response.

Agree about PayPal -- great way to do payments.

EDITED to add: Also meant to suggest using sheets mailing labels for your ingredient lists. Run them through your printer, a whole page of the same label, and then put it in a folder labeled with the type of cake it is; then you just slap it on the box whenever you bake that kind again.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:03pm
post #7 of 10

first- welcome to CC! its such an awesome place (am I a child of the 80's or what?)

A "bump" is used to put your topic at the top of the forum with the thinking that if it is at the top, people are more likely to read and respond.

As far as your kitchen goes, you can always ask you health dept to do a preliminary inspection. This allows you to have them come in, assess you situation and tell you if there is anything that you need to have updated/changed etc.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:03pm
post #8 of 10

My inspector wanted to make sure my hot water was hot, my refrigerator and freezer were cold enough and that the doors sealed shut when they were shut, that I had paper towels in the restroom and by the handwashing sink .... anything pertaining to food safety. Anytime he's come in the shop, he's never concerned that my counters are messy or my floor needs mopped. As he says, "Oh, you're in the middle of production. I know it's not going to be perfect during the day." He's looking for food safety issues, not how shiny your counters are (although if you had something growing on one, they'd probably mention it! icon_rolleyes.gif )

A lot of people use Paypal to collect monies up front with lots of success.

Any questions on insurance should be directed to your insurance agent. Every state and every insurance company operate under different rules and laws. Many companies require a comm'l policy regardless. I have an ins. agent friend who says his company will allow you to run on your personal auto for 50% of the mileage (if you do 10,000 personal miles per year, then they will let you do 15,000 a year with 10K personal and 5K business). But ask him/her!

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:04pm
post #9 of 10

Destinys_delights....It all depends on where you live that determines the answers to your questions. If you'll post your location I'd bet that someone who lives in the area could help.

A bump just brings the topic back to life or adds the topic to someone's watch list (instead of just clicking on the "watch this topic" at the bottom of the page!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:11pm
post #10 of 10

I can only agree that Paypal is the way to go, or direct deposit into your bank account by the customer.

Re: templates for ingredient lists - I make them up myself, takes about 5 minutes in a Word document on your computer, just write down every ingredient in a particular cake, or frosting - and label each document as what is is. eg "Chocolate Mud Cake", "Ornage Poppyseed Cake", "Cream Cheese Frosting". Make sure you include the additives such as food colourings and flavourings. In Australia we have a system of numbers for all additives, so it makes for a uniform system. If those ingredients asre all on the packet mix you use, then just copy those down. When you deliver a cake, you simply print off the relevant cake ingredients, and frosting ingredients, and put them with the box. (I also include a cutting guide and my cointact details).

Yes, you do need to declare part of your car usage for busines puposes, or your entire insurance might be voided if youa re in an accident while delivering a cake.

"bump" is a term used on forums to get a thread noticed by increasing its popularity/noticeability. Its not usually approved of by site admins.

Good luck wth your business! Most folks here (and you can do a search for many, many relevant threads on CC) seem to say it was better than expected (ie the health department inspection) icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%