Bet You Never Heard This Before!

Business By loriemoms Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 8:27pm by kandu001

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 40

The mother of a bride of a wedding I did this weekend came by today to drop off the plateau. I asked her how it went and she said to me "they never served the cake!" I went huh? She said the bride and groom did their cutting, they served them their pieces, but the cake was never cut and served. A four tier cake! She said they have cake in the car, in the fridge, all the neighbors, trying to get rid of all this cake. She has a call in with the catering person (they never work on Mondays) to ask why the cake was never cut. She said it was beautiful cake and delicious!! So she doesnt blame me. This isn't some dumpy place either, its a very well known, very fancy country club! Why would they not cut the cake? I mean, its a wedding, its there in their face...has anyone heard of this happening before? I feel so sorry for the family, they spent all that money and their guest never got a piece of cake..

My question is, should I warn future brides who use this country club that their cake may not get cut? Isnt that just ODD?

39 replies
wakeandbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakeandbake Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 40

i think that it has to be stated in the contract that the bride has with the venue whether or not the venue will be responsible for cutting and serving the cake. maybe it was never put in and the venue was expecting you to do it?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 40

Tha just makes no sense whatsoever, not saying you made that up of course, but wouldn't someone have said....uh, YOU GONNA CUT THAT CAKE and SERVE IT TO THE GUESTS?????

How the he**??? Wow!

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 40

Wow, that is strange. I don't know if this is correct protocall but maybe you can call and ask why they did not cut the cake? You can say that the wedding party just informed you and you are wondering if something was wrong? Did they not have the cutting instructions???? I know that is not an excuse buy maybe they can provide an answer??? Let us know what you find out.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 40

Ohhhhh....right. Yep, maybe the venue doesn't do the cutting. But still...how the heck??? Wouldn't the staff have gone asked someone whether or not someone was going to cut the cake? Really? Out of that entire room full of people...no one thought to cut the cake??? Whether it was their job or not??

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 40

If they didn't discuss cutting the cake with the venue, they may have thought the bride had made arrangements with someone else to cut it. They may have thought you were cutting it or a friend or relative of the bride was supposed to cut it. Plus, if they are asked to cut the cake, they may have an additional charge for this. I think it's a shame not to have this wonderful cake cut and served but it seems like when the mother of the bride saw that it wasn't being done, she would have said something to someone. At least she isn't blaming you.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 40

LOL OK after a few minutes of no cake and anyone I know would have jumped up to start cutting and ordered more plates from the kitchen but that's just the people I know(my at large and in charge family) So where was the wedding planner?

loriemoms Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 40

I couldnt stand it anymore and called the wedding planner! They said the mom was exagerating..she said they waited way too late to cut the cake and once they did, half the guests were gone. That makes more sense to me (I hear that happening all the time and tell the brides to cut the cake EARLY!!) So they have half the cake left to finish up...

Makes me feel better about the country club, that is fer sure! haha!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 40

then it sounds like the wedding planner didn't do her job... or am I wrong?

loriemoms Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

then it sounds like the wedding planner didn't do her job... or am I wrong?

I personally am less and less inpressed with many wedding planners these days. Sure there are some really good ones, but too many real estate agents have decided to become wedding planners. You know what I mean?

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 40

I know the older guests start leaving early, especially when the dance music starts! Then, once people start drinking, they aren't in the mood for cake or sweets. I used to make all kinds of cookies, brownies, etc. when my boyfriend went camping. They would bring a lot back. He said when they are drinking beer, they just don't like the flavor of the sweets, so they only ate them for breakfast icon_eek.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:58pm
post #12 of 40

Well, where I come from we serve the cake at midnight. Well, 10:30, with a light snack. After the supper is done, there is a dessert buffet, and then the dancing starts, and then later, the snack. So lots of people have left, and lots of people don't eat, so there is usually lots left over. I figure if the Bride is silly enough to know that there are already desserts being served, but still wants to order enough cake for everyone, then that is her problem, and my gain!

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:59pm
post #13 of 40

I never heard of that. Once a few years back I was maid of honor in a wedding and they made me serve the cake?!?!?!?!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:03pm
post #14 of 40

Strange! That's kind of rude to wait to cut the cake. I mean EVERYONE there is specifically waiting to eat that cake right? Surely, I'm not the only one dying to get my hands on it! =o)

cakesbytanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbytanya Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:06pm
post #15 of 40

I made my sister's wedding cake and they didn't want to pay the price to have the caterers cut it so her and her new husband served it themselves. Kindof wierd, kindof nice - at least they got to talk with everyone that way.

loriemoms Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:03pm
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbytanya

I made my sister's wedding cake and they didn't want to pay the price to have the caterers cut it so her and her new husband served it themselves. Kindof wierd, kindof nice - at least they got to talk with everyone that way.

I had a bride do that too....I think its a neat idea! Give you a chance to talk to everyone and thank them for coming and such! Although I dont know about doing it at a real formal event!

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:11pm
post #17 of 40

I know if my daughter was getting married and I saw people leaving with the cake not being cut yet, I'd find someone to cut it or cut it myself. That's just silly! As soon as the bride/groom cut the cake ... someone should be in there grabbing the knife and going at it!!!! icon_wink.gif

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:40pm
post #18 of 40

Well, my aunt and uncle forgot to even do their cake cutting... with a cake for 400 people, so YEA, they had a bit left over to figure out what on earth to do with it all...

My cousin had that problem, read some book that says you should cut the cake at ~9 or 10PM long after the meal is over because people will be so full after eating dinner... Her mom was scrambling to figure out what to do with all the cupcakes (GAH!) they made...

And, one wedding cake I did had the situation where they thought the site was going to serve the cake or at least provide plates/forks but they didn't and it was in the middle of no-where so no stores nearby... they ended up with an extra 14x14 that one of the groom's aunts took to church the next day to serve..

You can tell brides "Bank on half of your guests leaving on/before the end of your first dance... People need to get home because their sitter has to leave, they've got stuff going on the next day, need to take medications on a schedule, many DJ's play the music far too loud and people just want to chat, not scream, etc.. So do the cutting right away as soon as you get there and serve the cake right away after dinner otherwise bring take-home boxes and have your caterers serve any remaining cake up that way so guests may take a slice home or use as a snack later in the evening. No one ever complains about having an extra slice of cake!"

Oh well... We can't be held responsible for idiots...

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:00pm
post #19 of 40

My Wilton Instructor told us that most of the time the cake goes un eaten and the staff eats it. Sometimes they serve guests from sheet cakes from the back. I guess with everyone eating and drinking,no one thinks about the cake. I know when I made my son's cake, the staff couldn't wait until I told them they could have the rest. Plus I have a friend who had a cake for 250 people and they served maybe 100 people. The staff ate the rest. I say, "CUT THE CAKE RIGHT AWAY"!LOL.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:14pm
post #20 of 40

This is why I tell my brides to do their cake-cutting photo right before they open the buffet. That way, when I see people are pretty much done eating, I can start cutting the cake so people can eat their dessert AT THE END OF THE MEAL when it's SUPPOSE to be eaten, and not AT THE END OF THE NIGHT, when most of the guests have gone home!

Why oh why they tell brides to serve the cake 10 minutes before they leave when most of the guests have gone home is SO beyond logical comprehension!

I tell brides "Your cake is the only food that is designated wedding food. You don't have wedding chicken or wedding salad, but you DO have wedding CAKE ... and the only place to get it is at a wedding." If you ever just sit around and listen/watch, the guests are getting miffed and making comments like, "When are they going to cut the dang cake? I want cake!"

I had one wedding where I actually went up to the bride on the dance floor, tapped her on the shoulder and said, "Honey, half of your guests have left. you have GOT to cut that cake NOW!"

btw, NEVER do we EVER steal all the leftover cake for my or anyone else's staff to eat. Any leftover cake goes home with the family. I've never heard of such a thing (venue staff taking home the leftover cake!).

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:31pm
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

btw, NEVER do we EVER steal all the leftover cake for my or anyone else's staff to eat. Any leftover cake goes home with the family. I've never heard of such a thing (venue staff taking home the leftover cake!).

I've worked in several banquet halls in the northeast (Saratoga NY and Montpelier VT). At both places, the cake was cut and served to the guests, then the staff each got a wedding size slice. The remainder went home with the families. Every single time, the families would tell the staff to please eat the remaining food, etc., to avoid wasting it. BTW - these were $100K weddings.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:41pm
post #22 of 40

I did a wedding a couple weeks ago. My photography friend told me that they did not cut the cake until later on in the evening. People were drinking and had started leaving. The bride told my friend that they had been eating cake for a week! LOL

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

This is why I tell my brides to do their cake-cutting photo right before they open the buffet. That way, when I see people are pretty much done eating, I can start cutting the cake so people can eat their dessert AT THE END OF THE MEAL when it's SUPPOSE to be eaten, and not AT THE END OF THE NIGHT, when most of the guests have gone home!

Why oh why they tell brides to serve the cake 10 minutes before they leave when most of the guests have gone home is SO beyond logical comprehension!

I agree 100%. When I got married, we cut the cake before we sat down to eat. By the time the guests had finished two courses, the cake was ready to be served up as dessert! Worked perfectly!!

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:45pm
post #24 of 40

A family member of mine got married a couple of weeks ago. They did the same thing! Served themselves a piece, but no one else got one!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:48pm
post #25 of 40

The mother of the bride should have taken the initiative to get the cake served. I can't imagine just sitting back and not doing anything. I made my daughter's cake, and I had to cut it because the catering company "didn't know how", couldn't believe it!

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:57pm
post #26 of 40

Many country clubs in my area charge a "cutting & plating" fee, which can be as high as $3.00 per serving! Maybe this couple didn't want to pay for the country club to cut and plate the cake. Very strange, why order such a large cake and not serve it?

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:38am
post #27 of 40

When my oldest daughter married last year, we took the advice of our wedding designer, and did everything at the beginning of the reception.

As soon as the bride and groom walked into the reception, the music started for the father / daughter dance. Everyone circled around and enjoyed the sentimental moment.
My daughter and her husband then walked over to the cakes and cut their pieces for photos.
A blessing was said over the couple and the food. As the meal came to a close, the ladies began serving both cakes.
The venue owner loved how smoothly everything went.
The guests had a wonderful evening, and were able to watch and enjoy each part.
Which included a short switch for one song from a fairly formal affair to country. My daughter and her bride's maids took off their fancy shoes, and pulled on their boots. The bridal veil came off, and the girls put on cowboy hats. For one song they did a line dance that they had practiced. It was great fun to see. Silly girls. icon_lol.gifcowboy.gif We still laugh when we think about it.
Then everything went back to formal. icon_lol.gif

-Debbie B.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:45am
post #28 of 40

I've been to a couple of weddings recently and it's the same problem. The bride and groom cut the cake for pictures early on but the cake was not served right away. more than half the people have left before it was served, both times. It's great for me though cause we took home left over cake hehe.

oh man i love da cake!

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:43am
post #29 of 40

I work at a country club and it is clearly stated on the catering sheet what time the cake is to be cut and our servers are the ones who cut it. I would have been one of the guests running around asking when the cake was going to be served!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:36am
post #30 of 40

Some families like asking other people to cut the wedding cake. In my family you ask someone you look up to, cherish and admire to serve the cake. It's usually someone who is and aunt or friend or even in the wedding party.

Indy, you are one of the good caterers. The Wyndham hotel in Toledo is where my DH's aunt (2nd marriage) held her reception. She paid a ton of money. Each person got a piece of crystal for attending and even some members of the Toledo Symphony were there playing. It was gorgeous, except for their catering staff. HORRID! I never have seen anything like it since. They didn't have a cake but had a full 8 ft. table of mini desserts that you would find in Europe where she is from. Before we even sat down over 1/2 of them were gone because the staff ate them. My MIL opened up a door to ask what happened when she caught them stuffing their faces with piled plates. This was a small reception with 40 people and they were running out of plated food, once again we saw them eating it. When DH's aunt (the bride) was served her meal she had it for less than 5 minutes. Someone asked her a question and she was answering it when they swooped in and cleared her plate even though it was obvious she was busy and hadn't the chance to eat her food. I couldn't believe that this was the Wyndham standard, which probably explains why a few years later their rating went down and they were stripped of the Wyndham name.

Anyways to the OP glad you found out what really happened. I wish more people would cut the cake earlier than what they do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%