Lambeth Method???

Decorating By DamarisC Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 9:04pm by noyhoward

DamarisC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DamarisC Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good Instructional book or dvd i can purchase regarding how to decorate via Lambeth Method. I am a stay at home mom (1 & 2 yr old) therefore it is very difficult for me to attend cake decorating courses.

If anyone can help me out or guide me in the direction i need to go, i would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thank you so much,

Damaris Caballero

5 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know of any "modern" dvds, videos, or books. There are some specialty classes taught on Lambeth and modern adaptations, but they are few in number and high in price. Joseph A Lambeth's book, Lambeth Method of Cake Decoration, can sometimes be found at book resellers or on eBay, but the earlier editions are very pricey. I found a copy from the ninth printing (1980 - with the fiberboard kind of cover rather than leather) on eBay a couple of years ago for $25! Just keep looking..... It is a beautiful technique but so very time-consuming and exact.

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 6

You could also PM some of the lambeth experts here. I think Gefion 's lambeth cakes are just wonderful. Also Blakescakes. I did a lot of research on this also, most think it is too old fashioned and time consuming. I just love this method, but my hands just wouldn't be able to do it.

DamarisC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DamarisC Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 6

OH thank you guys so much for your help! i appreciate it.

I assumed is an more out of date method of decorating but i am so amazed at how beautiful the cakes look. And thanks for the tip on looking for the book, i cant beleive you got it for 25$, a steal!!!!

Damaris Caballero

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 6

If you can't take the class at Wilton, then, yep, the Lambeth book is your best bet, although you have to be able to "read cake" and interpret photos pretty well. The book isn't very good at teaching you how to divide and mark cakes, make patterns, in order to achieve symmety, etc.

I had the book but didn't use it at all until I'd taken the course. It was only then that it "made sense" to me.

It's a technique that's tons of fun to play with. You get to use tips over and over, so if nothing else, you get a great proficiency at fancy borders.

One thing to think about is take a "cake-cation" to Wilton--you go to classes while DH and the kids chill at the hotel. Nearby, there's a really nice Holiday Inn with an indoor pool and a very nice zoo. Also, you can take an inexpensive train into downtown Chicago and there's the Navy Pier and other kid-friendly sites. You'd be too tired to enjoy this part of it, but the rest of the family could.

Happy Decorating!
Rae

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 6

I'm a SAHM & @ that time my kids were 1 & 2 year old,my hubby works.Last year I took all the Wilton classes & after work my husband watched the kids for a couple of hours while I attend my evening classes @ Michael's.It can be done & well worth it.I hope that you are able to do that b/c it was a lot of fun & being around other adult for a couple of hours a week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%