Hair Ideas

Lounge By mbelgard Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 3:01pm by sweetcravings

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 17

I really want to do something new with my hair but I don't know what. I've always had very simple straight cuts and for most of my life it's been waist length or longer.

I did have it shoulder length about 10 years ago but I couldn't braid it when it was like that so I didn't like it.

My hair is straight, heavy and very thick.

I'm looking for ideas from people who have hair like mine. I don't want it super short and I don't want to spend an hour every morning styling it. I HAVE to be able to secure it back in something like a french braid for when we're out on the motorcycle or in a boat so it can't be too short.

I've been thinking about layers but I don't know how well they braid.

I'm hoping that there are others here with the same type of hair who can help me.

Thanks

16 replies
bigsisof3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigsisof3kids Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 17

I've had thay ype of hair for years, until I recently got it cut to my shoulders. One thing that I loved to do was make kind of a french braid in the front, like this:

http://www.thestylespy.com/wp-content/uploads/laurenconradbraid.jpeg

It was a nice way to keep hair out of my face.

Everything else I did was typical buns, braids, and such.

HTH icon_smile.gif

bigsisof3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigsisof3kids Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 17

Oh, and if you want to still braid your hair, DON'T GET LAYERS. The shorter pieces of hair starts sticking out of the braid, and it looks awful, in my opinion.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 17

Ask DKelly. icon_smile.gif

My best friend has very thick hair, and she gets it cut in layers and also thinned out a little when she gets it done. She keeps it pretty long, and is a nurse so she has to be able to pull it back in a ponytail out of the way.

I don't see why layers couldn't be braided in as long as they were cut long enough to do that. If you have a regular hair dresser it is always good to tell them what you want to do with it and how they think is best to cut it.

mbelgard Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 17

I don't have a regular hair dresser, it's always just a quick, straight trim when I bother to even trim it. I don't even have anything close to an idea of what they're charging for a haircut around here because I normally get a friend to trim it.

I'm not worried so much about how a braid would look but about being able to get it into one. My only reasoning for needing to braid it is so it doesn't end up tangled in the wind and to keep it out of my face when needed.

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 17

I have very thick long hair as well. It's curly though. I do have mine layered (because of the thickness and curls) but constantly pull it back. Right now i need it cut, but the shortest layer is around chin length and I can totally put it in a ponytail or braid.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 17

You could definitely put some long layers into your hair and still keep the length long enough to pull it back when you need to. The layers will take some of the "weight" away and give you a totally different look when you wear it down.

I agree with texassugar, as long as the layers are long enough (I'd start the shortest one at your chin) they will fit into a braid just fine, especially since you describe your hair as thick and heavy.

The most important thing is to go to a professional. Especially if you do decide to add some long layers, you want someone who is experienced with cutting long hair.

Good luck!
Deb

mbelgard Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

The most important thing is to go to a professional. Especially if you do decide to add some long layers, you want someone who is experienced with cutting long hair.

Good luck!
Deb

Thanks for the advice, it's what I was wanting to hear because I want layers but I've been worried about how they'll work.

The next question is how to figure out who would be good at cutting hair like mine. I honestly haven't been to a salon in 5 or more years. Is it okay to call and ask questions at a couple places before I decide where to go.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

... The layers will take some of the "weight" away and give you a totally different look when you wear it down...

I have a different type of hair, super straight and very fine, but I was afraid to go for layers because I'd seen too many layers gone wrong. I would get just the ends layered but wouldn't go any higher up. I took the plunge back in Nov to get more layers and haven't looked back yet. In fact the last time I got even more layers added to it.

Before this last hair cut I could totally put my hair up in a ponytail with out any problems since I pointed out that was important to me.

A good hair stylist will work with your hair and what you want to give you something you will be happy with. I agree with DKelly, this is where you want to go to a salon that has a good rep.

Deb_ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:15pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

The next question is how to figure out who would be good at cutting hair like mine. I honestly haven't been to a salon in 5 or more years. Is it okay to call and ask questions at a couple places before I decide where to go.

Absolutely you can and should call around and ask questions. Do you have any friends (whose hair you like icon_lol.gif ) that can recommend their stylist?

If not, you could call some places and ask to speak to someone that is experienced in cutting very long hair.

We get calls all the time from people "shopping around" for a new hairstylist. Sometimes I have them stop by my salon so I can see them in person before we book an appt.

Any good salon will be willing to talk to you first. If they don't, then move on to the next place.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:20pm
post #11 of 17

My friend was so irritated with her hair, she shaved it all off and wears a wig. She doesn't have to worry about shampoos, no worries about mornign hair, she's always early at work, it feels fresh and she can just pop a wig on and have an instant hairstyle.

Maybe you can try that one if you find it easier.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:34pm
post #12 of 17

If you don't like, it will grow back.

Deb_ Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:40pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

My friend was so irritated with her hair, she shaved it all off and wears a wig. She doesn't have to worry about shampoos, no worries about mornign hair, she's always early at work, it feels fresh and she can just pop a wig on and have an instant hairstyle.

Hey hey wait a minute..........if everyone shaves their heads and buys a wig I'll be out of business!!! icon_razz.gificon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif orrrrrrr I'd have to open a "Wig" salon icon_rolleyes.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:07pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:

icon_surprised.gif

mbelgard Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:33pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:

I'm not that irritated with my hair, I just want something different.

And the husband would KILL me if I did that. icon_lol.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:35am
post #16 of 17

Hey, me too! My hair was all one length almost to my waist and I felt so drab. I went to the beauty school and brought some pics from online. The little girl was all conservative about cutting it, and I always had been in the past, but I kept watching in the mirror and telling her to whack the layers shorter. Silly looking in a ponytail but I love how light it feels! I'll post some before and after pics when it's clean! icon_redface.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:01pm
post #17 of 17

My sister has very thick hair and had it cut in layers by the stylist..she hated it. The stylist used a rasor to cut the layers and thin it all out. Looked great when she used the flat iron and smoothed it out, but she just didn't have the time. Then when she pulled it back it was sticking out everywhere. She too, lives in a ponytail most of the time. Never again will she let them rasor her hair. It does give a beautiful look, but if you aren't willing to work with it, don't take that route or you'll be cursing left and right. Have them put long layers in using traditional cutting method..scissors. It took alot of time to regrow it to a point that she liked it at.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%