Starting A Cupcake/cake Studio In Los Angeles.. Help?

Business By twinkletoe21 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 5:43pm by Juds2323

twinkletoe21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkletoe21 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:37am
post #1 of 4

hi everyone.. i have been baking for a long time.. and decorating for about almost 2 years now and its only recently that i really really considered getting into this business full blown. ( i mean, i have always been into this but never did i ever thought ill be able to do it on my own.. =))I have a pretty good flow with clients through word of mouth.. i have a business lic. which should be in the mail any day now..

my question is, how do i go about it?.. what do i do first aside from getting my business lic?.. my plan was to get a small business loan but other than that, i really really need everyones inputs, advice or any informations that will help me start up my long time dream of owning and running my own business someday.. icon_smile.gif

btw, I live in los angeles, california icon_smile.gif

thank youuu in advance!!!

3 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 4

Well I would think you would need to find some storefront space and contact the city of Los Angeles to also find out what is required of you to open up a food business.Then price it out with a contracter so you know how much it will cost to renovate the space into a kitchen storefront.Create a business plan to take to the bank because they will want to see a solid one!If they approve you for a loan then you can continue.Everything is a process which takes time and money so be prepared for lots of snags at first!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 4

Step 1. Write your Business Plan. That should take at least 6 weeks if done correctly. And it will really answer all your questions.

I've gotten the "I want a storefront" bug twice, done the research and written the biz plan, even met with lenders. And talked myself out of it both times.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 4

In california you must work out of a commercial kitchen. You cannot work from home. I don't know if you have your location lined up yet or not but getting a figure for that will be a good place to start so you have some numbers when doing your business plan.

Judi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%