Practicing Buttercream

Decorating By ajmccray Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 8:49am by Cake4ever

ajmccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajmccray Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:03am
post #1 of 4

Ok, so I did a 3 tier stacked cake this weekend for a 50th wedding anniversary. Overall I thought it was ok but I definitely needed to work on my buttercream. I know that part of my problem was that I had too much icing on the board that held the layers (before I stacked) so when I took them off to stack, it took some of the icing I had on the cake and so I had to try to smooth while the layers were stacked. Irregardless, I still want to improve on both the smoothness and borders. This brings me to my question. I am considering getting a cake dummy just to practice my buttercream. Has anyone done this and do you think it's close to a real cake? Obviously, it's much more stable and has sharper edges than a real cake but I thought it'd be easier to ice/re-ice that than a cake I make. Any help (as well as any tips on smooth buttercream!) will be appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Angela

3 replies
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:51am
post #2 of 4

I find its harder to ice dummies 1. because they are lighter and hard to keep still, and 2. I put plastic wrap on mine so I can reuse and its hard to get that smooth. When I stack, the frosting gets messed up some around the bottom, I use my small angled spatula to smooth, let it crust then use the viva paper towel method. Ive tried the hot knife, it works but I think it makes my icing crystalize sometimes. The best way for me is the Viva way

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:01am
post #3 of 4

I've used dummies also to practice and totally agree with bakingatthebeach about the sliding around. I was just speaking to my hubby about this probably 5 minutes before seeing this post...I'm gonna just keep practicing on real cake because I won't encounter "real" issues when decorating a cake dummy (if that makes any sense).

What I've noticed about buttercream is that it's all in the recipe...you're doomed from the start if you don't mix it right. I use Indydebi's bc and so far it's the best....well a really really close run between hers and edna's here. But yeah, I always struggle in some way with buttercream.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:49am
post #4 of 4

I'm not sure about icing a cake, but to practice different piping techniques, I flip over my cake pans and work on them. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%