Help! Cookie Dough Crumbly!

Baking By luv2c_cultures Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 2:57pm by nickdrewnjaysmom

luv2c_cultures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2c_cultures Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:56am
post #1 of 8

So I tried using a new recipe from a book I bought today and the dough turned out all crumbly. I tried kneading it with no success. Is there any way of salvaging it? The dough tastes great...just can't roll it out.

Here's the recipe I used:
4 cups AP flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp water

7 replies
luv2c_cultures Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 8

Anyone? I would hate for all that dough to go to waste...and I really need to make some cookies this week!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 8

i dont know, add a bit more milk/ water, or butter?
xx

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 8

I would sprinkle just enuff water till it starts to come together ... Just a tiny bit at a time coz you dont want it "too" wet!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 8

it seems like the butter/flour ratio is a bit off....
maybe a bit more softened butter (already creamed) or some more liquid as other people have suggested.

If you do find something that works, will you please share with us what you did?

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:52am
post #6 of 8

Actually, it also looks like the sugar/ flour ratio is too high. I had that problem at first, too and had to consult every pastry book in the library to figure it out! Sugar will suck the moisture out of the dough, believe it or not. I was adding water to my dough, too, but that only made it sticky and I knew it wasn't the right solution. I didn't think sugar was the culprit, but I believe it now. I was originally using 2 cups sugar to 3 cups flour, but I cut it back to 1 cup sugar to 3 cups flour. I might also add about another 1/2 cup of butter than that recipe.

One other thing I like doing is I save my over-rolled dry dough scraps, keep them refrigerated until the next batch, then add them to the fresh dough in the mixer. That way, it doesn't go to waste and it seems to make better cookies than fresh dough by itself!

luv2c_cultures Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone! I think I will just use a different recipe next time! I ended up putting some water and microwaving the dough until I was able to roll it. It worked enough to get them done...but they did not turn out pretty. icon_sad.gif Now I know for next time! Thanks!

P.S. You all make cookie decorating look too easy! LOL! Mine were a disaster from start to finish...perhaps I need more practice.

nickdrewnjaysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickdrewnjaysmom Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:57pm
post #8 of 8

Hi..

I use the NFSC recipe on this site..but I always use Extra large eggs, or the dough is just not right..

Good luck, and keep trying, it will get easier!
JoAnn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%