How Do I Make Fondant Look Like A Stone Wall(Castle)?

Decorating By bakescakes1227 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm by PinkLisa

bakescakes1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescakes1227 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a Princess Castle cake I need to know how to make the fondant look like a stone castle wall. I don't have an airbrusher, HELP!

8 replies
jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 9

marble the fondant (streak in stripes of color with a toothpick) and barley knead the color. Pull off small ball and slightly flatten to look like rock walls and place on side of cake. Start at the bottom and then go around and up. A bit time comsuming but very easy. Just make random shapes. HTH

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 9

i would use a stone impression mat that you get from globalsugarart.com. countrykitchensa.com . and sometimes i see them at michaels.. hth

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 9

colour wise, you can marble the fonant, or use a sponge and (diluted?) food colour, an sponge it on. for the bricks, i just use a knife to mark lines.
xx

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 9

IF you have time, I would get an impression mat..... it soooo easy and QUICK !

skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 9

if you don't have time to purchase an impression mat, you can try my method. I just piped dots of icing on my cake and pressed them flat to resemble cobblestone. You could make the wall of your castle any color. Here's a pic of my cake. I hope this helps.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=105701

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:04am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet1zp

if you don't have time to purchase an , you can try my method. I just piped dots of icing on my cake and pressed them flat to resemble cobblestone. You could make the wall of your castle any color. Here's a pic of my cake. I hope this helps.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=105701

Thank You good idea thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 9

The impression mat is a great idea. You can also achieve it by using some type of stick to make indentations to fondant.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 9

I made a haunted castle cake for my son's birthday using the method of flattened fondant balls. I was really rushing and it took a VERY long time. I made BOULDERS on the back of the cake to just get it done -- haha. If you have the time to do it right it's a good method. I'm not thrilled with the way mine came out since I just didn't have enough time to do it carefully.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%