Questions About Traveling With An Assembled 3-Tier Cake

Decorating By Melchas Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 8:34pm by Melchas

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 5

Hello I'm new to this site, but absolutly addicted...great info! I am doing a wedding cake in July and the reception is going to be at the beach. The bride is having a family memeber pick up the cake...fully assembled.. and driving it over the mountains to the beach. She wants a 12, 9, 6 stacked, tiered cake with bavarian cream filling for the bottom tier, chocolate buttercream for the middle and lemon for the top. I have only done 4 wedding cakes and have set them up myself at the reception. I am very concerned about the cake traveling, especially with bavarian for the bottom filling. Am I wrong to be concerned? Does anyone have suggestions to stablize the cake? Is it better to have the bavarian for the middle or top tier? Sorry for the long post, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Melyssa

4 replies
KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 5

Welcome to CC!

I personally would just make a good thick "dam" of buttercream for each tier before putting the filling in to help it stay in place. Dowel each tier and then use a center dowel down all the way down to the cake board. Chill the cake really well beforehand too.

I'd be really leary of letting someone else travel with my cake only because if something happens to it, will they know how to fix it?

And be sure the driver is fully aware that a cake is like a glass of water...if you tip it, ride over bumps, pot holes, stop hard, etc, it will break!

KimAZ

Melchas Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 5

I didn't think about chilling it, great idea. Origionly she wanted a two tier beacuse she was worried about traveling with it, they are having more peole, so she wants it bigger. Water is a good analogy, I think I will use that. Do you think the bavarian would fair better if it was in the middle tier or would it be too heavy? Thanks for your advice.

-Melyssa

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 5

How many hours away will it be? Will the bavarian be ok sitting out for that long? Or does it need to be refrigerated? If it needs to be refrigerated, personally, I would call the bride back and let her know that you are worried about people getting sick and that she should probably pick sonething else. I would suggest that you use the SPS system, especially if someone else is transporting the cake. I don't think that it would really matter which layer the bavarian is on as long as you make a really good, thick dam. I think chilling it would be good too. If you are worried, I'd make the bavarian the top layer. Good luck!

Melchas Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 5

It's about 1-1&1/2 hrs away. What is the SPS system?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%