Quick Question About Luster Dusts

Decorating By adree313 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 12:25am by adree313

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:16am
post #1 of 7

which brand is your favorite and you think works the best? (i.e. high vibrancy, lots of coverage, etc) by looking at global sugar art, it seems that the sunflower sugar art dusts are the way to go, but are they worth the extra $ (granted, it's not a ton extra, but it adds up icon_smile.gif ) or are the ones by "gsa" and "ck" just as good?
also, if you could pick maybe just 3 or 4 colors to buy which would you choose? (i'm in the process of my first global sugar art order and i just don't know which colors to go with! i love them all!)

6 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:21am
post #2 of 7

cant speak for the brands, im in the uk. btu i think as long as its not wilton it will do the job.
id go for the basic colours - one plain (ivory for me) pearlised cause it can brighten up anything. think about the cakes/ details you often do. id probably go for a gold and silver, for the details.
i have petal dusts, since i do flowers, got green, red and yellow.
xx

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:29am
post #3 of 7

I've used CK, which is great.
Never had any problems and the coverage is great.
I ran out once and had to by wilton... not worth talking about.
It was horrible!
icon_smile.gif Jodi

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:42am
post #4 of 7

I have not tried GSA's luster dusts. But I have tried Sugarflair and often go back to theirs since you can't get Cake Central dusts anymore. icon_sad.gif

One thing I will say about GSA's petal dusts is that I hate the container that it comes in. The top will not go back down once you open the hard to open top the first time. I've had to go and buy new twist containers to put their dusts in. Drives me nuts, so I doubt I'll go back to theirs until their container changes... Just my 2 cents.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 11:00am
post #5 of 7

I too order from Global Sugar Art, but I order "Sunflower Sugar Art" dusts from them..... the Rainbow Disco dust goes on almost all my cakes now.... I just LOVE that stuff.... they come already packaged in the twist top containers..... SOOO much easier !

http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=disco+dust&searchimage.x=26&searchimage.y=9

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 7

I use Crystal Colors because they are FDA approved. They are just perfect.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:25am
post #7 of 7

thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%