Ice Cubes

Decorating By Gemmaw Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 8:08pm by becklynn

Gemmaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gemmaw Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 5

Im making a cake for my nans birthday in a week and need ideas on what to use for ice cubes. The cakes goning to be a chamagne bottle in a bucket with ice cubes in it. I thought about marshmallows but theyre not the right color and Jelly could melt any other ideas? I want the ice cubes to be clear sweets about the size of ice cubes maybe a bit bigger not smaller though.

4 replies
nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 5

You could possibly make hard candy (rock candy) in molds and use them for the ice cubes. If the humidity is high, they may stick together after they are placed on the cake, but should look great! Good Luck!

282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 5

I think most people on here use clear gelatin. It is super easy and gives the best effect.

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 5

the rock candy works great - just toss w/ a little powdered sugar to keep from sticking. it will give a frosted look to the glass and you can use any clear flavoring you want. just pour out in a big sheet and break up after cooling for your ice chunks.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 5

On a recent Food Network Challenge someone made "glass" tiles out of hard candy poured into a silicone ice cube tray. Wilton has a new silicone Brownie Bites pan that looks like little squares. I was thinking this would work great for ice cubes.

Besides the hard candy, I have heard of people using the unflavored gelatin (with less water) and cutting into squares when set...I'm not sure how that would hold up.

Even easier - there is a candy called Fox's Glacier Mints that is a clear square peppermint candy. I think they sell them at Amazon dotcom.
Just unwrap a pile of those for your ice!

Good luckicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%