Knee Problems!!

Lounge By jeaniecakes Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 3:47am by mkolmar

jeaniecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeaniecakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:22am
post #1 of 4

Ever since I started decorating cakes 6 months ago I've been having knee problems. I must lock up my knees as I'm leaning over the counter, cause when I walk away and move I feel pain in my knees. It's progressively getting worse. Any suggestions on your posture when you are decorating? When I sit down and decorate then I have back and shoulder pain from being hunched over. What should I do?

3 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 4

I have essentially had to quit baking/decorating because of my knees. I have arthritis
in knees, shoulders, hands, all over.

I'd go to the doctor, see what the problem really is, and possibly there is medication or exercise, something that will help. Good luck, hope you can continue to decorate.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 4

What type of flooring do you have? I have notice a great difference since we changed the kitchen floor from vinyl to ceramic tile. If you are on a really hard flooring try a thick rubber mat to stand on.

Also, check out the height of your counter to your height. I know that my counter is way too high for me. It may be too high or low for you. My niece is an OT and part of her training was to observe these things. The wrong angle or height, width can really put stress and strain on your body in unusual ways.

I now have to move my cakes to a table to decorate.

or it could be something to consult a dr. about.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:47am
post #4 of 4

Do you stand when you decorate? I do and when I took a cake class with Colette Peters she kept telling me I'd kill my body unless I learn to decorate when sitting in a chair (and also you have better control when sitting for decorating and piping). I still have a hard time with that since I have high counters and am short. I ended up buying these foam/rubber mats to stand on and large bar stool to try to help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%