:( Covered Cold Cake With Mmf - Now It Is Sticky & Shiny

Decorating By maggiev777 Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 11:51pm by idjitmom

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 5

I covered it when the cake was straight out of the fridge because I wanted a sharper upper edge than I usually can get when I cover my cakes at room temp. I thought the cold IMBC would keep the crisper upper edge, but now I realize that the cold cake underneath the newly applied fondant is attracting tons of condensation! Uh oh.

I set a fan blowing on it... will it dry enough so I can dust it with powdered sugar and smooth it? Right now it is super sticky and shiny... Really looks terrible since I couldn't even smooth it before condensation started. icon_cry.gif

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 5

It should dry enough. I've covered petit fours that were straight out of the freezer and they get very soft and sticky, then eventually dry with a matte finish. If you have enough MMF it may need another layer to look right when it dries out.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 5

Yeah, i think once it dries it should be fine. Just make sure not to touch it while it is drying or it can leave marks on the cake.

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the reassurance!!! It seems to be looking a bit better... hopefully I can work with it soon. It's never occurred to me to add another layer on fondant... I might do that. We will see how it goes. It is just my DS's bday cake but I'd really like it to look nice!

thanks again!!

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 5

Don't try to dust w/ powdered sugar to help it dry, all that will do is leave you w/ clumps of sugar on your fondant. Just let it sit till the condensation is gone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%