Zebra Stripes

Decorating By sylvia62 Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 2:16pm by Iva1976

sylvia62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sylvia62 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 13

Does anyone have a zebra stripes template?? I'm doing a 8in fondant covered cake and need to put zebra stripes on it.

Thanks so much,
Sylvia G.

12 replies
arbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arbakes Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 13

here's a bump...would like to see one too!

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 13

I was told by many people (after my disastrous attempt at one) that the stripes needed to be wavy and basically how you want. They said that there wasn't a template, but that everything was free-handed.

I'd say take a look at mine, but please don't because it ain't pretty. icon_cry.gif

Hope this helps a little bit.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 13

I don't think that you need a template. Just cut the stripes free-hand with a pizza cutter or exacto knife. There's a good video on u-tube on how to make & apply zebra stripes to a cake. I just made a cake with stripes if you want to take a look @ my photos.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 13

I saw on Cake Boss the other day that they lay the stripes on fondant and then it looked like they rolled them into the fondant and cut as needed or in other words lay them on your white fondant after rolled out and then roll the black stripes in the white fondant and cover your cake. I HAVE NEVER TRIED THIS so I dont know how ezasy it will be but it sure looked cool when they put it on the cake. HTH

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 13

this is a great video tutorial on making zebra stripes on youtube

there are three parts to it and the link above is the first one, the others will follow after it ends.

Real easy to do (at least she makes it look so easy)

Enjoy and post a pic!

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:15am
post #7 of 13

this is something i want to try

sleeper713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleeper713 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:27am
post #8 of 13

I have not tried zebra stripes yet, but I will be soon. I'm planning on making them the way Donnagardner described... roll out the white fondant, cut some black fondant stripes free-handed, place them on the white fondant, and press them into the white fondant with your roller. That's how I did my Union Jack flags (in my pics)... you have to start with them a little smaller than you want them to end up being because they spread out slightly when they're rolled into the white base... learned that the hard way icon_rolleyes.gif

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:27am
post #9 of 13

just google zebra stripes under images and there are different patterns thumbs_up.gif

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:29am
post #10 of 13

When I do zebra strips on a cake. I roll out my fondant and use a pizza cutter to make the strips. The great thing about zebra strips is no one strip is the same. I thought that I had a pic of a zebra cake I did but I guess I dont. Will have to take a pic of one the next time I do one at work. They are really easy and alot of fun.

psychmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psychmom Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:13am
post #11 of 13

Thanks to all for the tips. I am planning to make a zebra cake in about two weeks. I plan to make a stencil from scrap book paper, after cutting them out will roll them onto the fondant.
Hope this works - note I said "plan"... LOL
~Raquel

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:01pm
post #12 of 13

Sleeper713 please post a pic when you make one. I am very interested to see how this looks.

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:16pm
post #13 of 13

I basically cut strips in different shapes and sizes with an exacto knife and apply it to the cake. Below is the one I made, I also added sugar to the stripes.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1350588

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%