New Here. First Cake Question

Decorating By Stacy1022 Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 6:34am by cheatize

Stacy1022 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacy1022 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 8

Hi. I am new to this site, but want to say how very informative I have found it to be.
Here is my situation: My daughter wants me to bake a stacked cake for her upcoming 14th birthday. Her request is that the cake itself be like a white confetti cake. She wants a marshmallow tasting filling and "white" frosting. She requested no fondant. I was just wondering if anyone had ideas about the filling and icing. I have reviewed many recipes and previous posts. Since this is my first decorated cake, I have no experience with fillings or icing. I think maybe I have done too much research. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:08pm
post #2 of 8

Hi and Welcome to CC!!

It sounds like she wants a plain old marshmellow fluff filling..if you are pressed for time they sell it in a jar in the aisle with ice cream cones and toppings...As for the white icing...any white Buttercream recipe will do but I suggest Indydebi's or Sugarshacks recipes!! They are great.I think there may be a marshmellow icing recipe on here or you can google it.Most all cooking sites have a version of it!!

Laurel icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:20pm
post #3 of 8

Welcome to the site icon_smile.gif youll like it here its great, so glad your embarking on your first decorated cake , i would suggest a wee practise try if youve got time icon_smile.gif sometimes its good to get your head round things x

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 8

Hello from a fellow Louisiana caker!
I'm in Lafayette - if you need any help with your cake or finding supplies in this area, just send me a PM.
My tip - keep it simple and it will look great.
Good luck, you can do it!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 8

I guess your questions have been answered. Good luck!

KirschSalvator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KirschSalvator Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 8

Marshmallow filling, you might be able to use a pastry bag and a Wilton 230 size tip to poke a few holes in the cake to fill it. You might want to practice on some cupcakes or something to get the filling part right. icon_smile.gif

Stacy1022 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacy1022 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you all for the info and words of encouragement. I am making this cake on Monday. Hopefully it will turn out well. Thanks again.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 6:34am
post #8 of 8

I can't remember if I got this here or from the Wilton site, but Twinkie filling is great! I just made a banana cake with Twinkie filling and the family can't stop eating it.

Twinkie Creme Filling

2 teaspoons very hot water
rounded 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups marshmallow creme (1 7-ounce jar)
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Combine the salt with the hot water in a small bowl and stir until salt is dissolved. Let this mixture cool.

Combine the marshmallow creme, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl and mix well with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy.
Add the salt solution to the filling mixture and combine.
Makes 1 1/2 cups.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%