Anyone Use Business Cards?

Business By tasteeecakes Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 11:10pm by Mabma80

tasteeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteeecakes Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 11

Hello everyone! Just made my first ordered cake last week and had lots of people at the customer's house that said they would love for me to make them a cake . But the thing is, they said they would just contact the woman who ordered the cake (my cousin) for my number. I really wish I could have given them a card or something. Does anyone have business cards? I know that at vistaprint I can order some for free. I want to make some but don't really know what to put on them. I tried to do a search on CC but couldn't find any examples. If any one has any advice/ tips i would love to hear them!

Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 11

Vistaprint is great! You can put your name, phone number and email! good luck!

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 11

Isnt business cards considered advertising? I'd love to hand out business cards but I am not a licensed baker.

If you're licensed by all means hand out those cards! Put them on your boxes.

cakesBYcuento Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesBYcuento Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 11

i love moo.com! i ordered the mini cards. they are half the size of business cards and they are really cute! they are easy to carry around if you get the keychain holder too. the best part is that you can use your cake photos...which is what i did here are mini moo cards: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakesbycuento/3533821586/

tasteeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteeecakes Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattigunter

Isnt business cards considered advertising? I'd love to hand out business cards but I am not a licensed baker.

If you're licensed by all means hand out those cards! Put them on your boxes.

You make a good point! I didn't even think about that!

cakesBYcuento Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesBYcuento Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 11

i'm not licensed either but i hand out my mini cards to my friends and family...that's not so bad, right??? icon_surprised.gif

i have a link on the cards to my online photo album on flickr for them to check out

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 11

If you're selling cakes without a license you could get in trouble. If you hand out business cards without being licensed and you're selling cakes, you're asking for trouble.

I've told this story before, but I know a caterer who actively seeks out unlicensed food vendors to turn in. He gets a percentage of the fines and back taxes that the state collects, and he says that he makes a good amount of money by doing it. He LOVES it when people hand him a business card, because he can then go and investigate to see if they're legal or not.

froglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froglover Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 11

We used business cards before we were legal and didn't consider it advertising because we didn't leave them any where we only handed them out ourselves which is just like writing down your phone # for someone right? Now we are legal and we leave business cards with bridal shops and the such we also have all of our general info on the front with 3-4 mini pictures and then we have the website on the back in the middle surrounded by 9-10 other mini picts of our fav. cakes. HTH

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 9:06pm
post #9 of 11

I use them and i got mine from Vista Print. it has the Vista Print logo on the back, your wording is limited and design choices are limited, that's what keeps them free. Beware there will be MANY offers before you reach the checkout!

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 11

i make mine myself, buying paper at the office store that is high gloss, smooth edged (no perforation dots left), and is capable of double sided printing. each sheet has 8 or 10 cards.

i used the microsoft digital imaging/editing program to find my favorite cakes, cleaned up the background and cropped them, then put 5 of them on the front of my card, which i print vertically. my name, tagline, and contact info is at the bottom half.

by doing it myself, 10 sheets or so at a time, i have the ability to change out my pictures when i do something i think is impressive enough to make the cover. it's also kind of sneaky, because if you put someone's cake on the front, they are more likely to give out the couple extra cards you give them to friends as bragging rights!

on the back, i print up info about my friends and family referral program.

Mabma80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mabma80 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:10pm
post #11 of 11

The way I see it, is it's your info as if you were writing down on paper. I have business cards. My dad used business cards forever and he was fine. He's an electrician. Not related, I know...but still the same thing.

I hate that the gov. encourages a person to do stuff with their talents. But puts restrictions almost making it impossible. Like not being able to have a home-based business (ie. cakes). God forbid you try to make a little extra money doing something you like. Not all of us can afford the luxury(sp) of buying a shop, converting our garages, or adding to our homes to make a bake shop. It really is discouraging, also, when there's people out there making money on ruining peoples dreams. It's really sad.

Sorry. I had to vent a little.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%