Film School Cake

Decorating By auntmamie Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 3:06am by auntmamie

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 10

I have an order for a graduation cake due next Friday (the 12th). It is a 10" round, vanilla butter cake, with bavarian creme and chocolate filling (Boston creme pie). Covered in BC, not fondant.

This is for a HS graduate going to film school at Emerson College in Boston. Emerson's college colors are Royal Purple and Gold. His mother would like the cake to incorporate a strip of film, and a directors cut board. I plan on making any accents out of 50/50 or GP, but don't want to do a whole reel of film, since this is out of BC and not fondant.

Any ideas? Oh, and this doesn't need to incorporate the hs at all - she ordered two cakes, one with a HS theme, which I've already designed, and this one.

9 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 10

seems like i saw a cake here that had a film strip with actual edible image photos of the kid the cake was for, and a cut board as well. have you searched the galleries? this cake was really cute but i don't know how to do the whole link thing. i will look and see what i can find.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 10

What about using the film strip with edible images placed in each from of the film. You can make it from Gum Paste or 50/50 with fondant. Use pictures of him and maybe some school logos etc.. then let the strip of film cascade down the cake. Ice the tiers in the college colors. Use the clapper board as the topper. Cannot wait to see the final result.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 10

ok of course i cant find it, but i did type in film into search and four pages of cakes came up, many that look the way you are describing...

auntmamie Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 10

Great ideas, but the edible images are out - She's going on vaca starting tomorrow (we work together) and the local grocery stores don't print images, only Costco, and I don't have a membership. And I really don't want to do a $60 membership when I live alone - way not worth it.

To get the film strip around the side of the cake, should I apply flat against the cake, or make it "curling"? And if it's curling, how should I dry it first?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 10

Get ahold of anybody from Michigan ICES and get some of the recent DOS pix -- they did one with a film theme. LOTS of great ideas (including the popcorn bag cake in my pix!) icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #7 of 10

There are lots more cakes better than the one I did, but the only fondant is the strip that goes around the side of the cake. It was super easy!! http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1285035

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:34pm
post #8 of 10

I did some strips of film on this cake

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1310882

I just cut a strip of gumpaste (or 50/50) & used the small square cutter to cut the shapes on both sides, then layed it over some of the Wilton flower formers (that were upside down), & painted them black after they dried. I did make a couple of extra in case of breakage (I had rolled the gumpaste out extremely thin to look more realistic) & was glad I did, I needed them!

MrsLev557 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsLev557 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:16am
post #9 of 10

I did a cake for a girl who was in to drama and I made the bow look like a negative/reel of film - got the idea from CCers..easy way to incorporate into the cake without doing the entire reel - this is the link to the photo http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1366717

I just uploaded the picture I did last month of a murder mystery, I did a clapboard out of RKT and covered it in fondant..everyone loved it.. I put wooden dowels in it to hold it in place. I made one batch of RKT and but them in a 8 inch pan & about it came out to be about 1 inch thick... http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1385559

I am a beginner, but hopefully it will help get the ideas flowing...This site is perfect for finding ideas and help!!

Shirl

auntmamie Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:06am
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone. I love the great ideas. I'm thinking that I'm going to wrap the cake like Indydebi did, but then have the film curling at the ends like Idjitmom. Oh, and I'll probably cut the squares out of the fondant like Idjitmom, since the background is going to be white. I'll post pics next weekend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%