Anyone Licensed In Mi?? I Called The Dept. Of Agriculture

Decorating By BakeLoveMom Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 11:27pm by JenniferMI

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 6

and the guy was very short and not helpful, he did say he would send me some info. I got a book that has nothing to do with what I was asking him. I was trying to see the requirements for renting a kitchen or building the seperate one in your home. The book he sent me was for a business setting. Can anyone direct me to more information. I had initially contacted the Health Dept. and they said they don't handle it, that the Dept. of Agriculture did.


5 replies
kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 6

i live in oakland county. when i called the health dept, they told me(and not very nicely) that you were not under any circumstances to have an in-home legal kitchen to sell from. i have heard that other counties may be a little more lenient(sp?). i ended up renting a kitchen from another bakery. things have not gone real good. i've been in the process of starting a shared-use commercial kitchen. there's a lot of work involved. you can go on,1607,7-125-1569_16958---,00.html for more information

swoozie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoozie Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 6

I am in Mi. I was lisenced with the Dept of Ag. for a wholsesale cookie biz.
To work from a rented kitchen, first you need to find a kitchen to use. I knew a guy that had a pizza place. He let me come in a work on his off h ours for nothing. (Lucky there)
I would bake early in the morning. 6-7 a.m. then by the time people were getting there to open up for lunch opening I was cleaned up and done.

The kitchen has to be already licensed. the the Dept of Ag can come in and inspect it again for you. You can get a license for what your doing I believe as long as you dont plan on using your rented kitchen as a place to sell your items ( such as making cookies to sell through that place.. in my case I could not sell my cokie at the pizza place. Jim had to buy them from me then sell them if he wanted to.)
You will have to have ingredient lables of all the cake flavors you have, icings and fondant. you need to obtain a company name and register it with your county. There are a few other requirements but this is the best start.

You can check out many places to rent. Where I live there is a co op kitchen about an hoiurs drive from me and for many that is the easiest start to a new small buisness. the kitchen is already licensed and you rent space for goods so you dont have to transport everything each time, and then you rent kitchen time. This is in Oceana county Mi.

I hope this has answered a few questions for you.
Home kitchen must be a totaly seperate kitchen that you only use for cakes. say in your basement. You have to have a seperate enrty ( like a walk out door)
They prefere seperate utilities as well but will work with you. floor ceiling and walls must be easily cleanable no carpet. you cant use the kitchen to cook your families T day dinner. etc.
Sorry for the huge post.

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:53am
post #4 of 6

Thanks everyone, I will check it out. If I rent a kitchen all baking and decorating has to be done there, then do you deliver your products? I am confused on if it takes 2 days to work on your cake, but all that stuff cannot leave that space, do the people you rent it from have a seperate space for you to keep your things??? I can't put a kitchen in my basement because we don't have one. I was thinking of our garage...There is just so much work. I will keep looking...thanks again,


bride2B82209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bride2B82209 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 6

what county do you live in? i'm in wayne, and it's a pain in the butt to get threw to anyone to get answers. I have found out that you cannot have any type of business out of your home. You have to keep it completely separate like one of the other posters mentioned, separate space, entrance, everything. It also has to be inspected by the building department, and the health department. I have had no luck finding a co-op kitchen that is my price range, so for now I guess I stick to making cakes for family.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 6

Be persistent... that is their job to help you or at least give you info. I'm in Manistee, MI and am licensed. It was pretty easy when I got it done, my kitchen is in my basement. But, I have heard they are making it harder for home businesses because they just don't have the man power to get around to inspect them.

If I can help you, don't hesitate to ask.

Jennifer Dontz icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%