Newbie Cupcaker With Questions...any Advice Appreciated!

Baking By Retrogirl38 Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 3:01am by daisyjenn

Retrogirl38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Retrogirl38 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 4

Firstly,THANK YOU to ALL for your incredible expertise and sharing of talent. I have found you all to be great sources of inspiration and information--an awesome combination!

I will be making a cupcake display for my sister's wedding shower on Sunday. I have a few questions:

CAKE QUESTIONS:
I have contemplated making WASC cupcakes, but I don't know the temperature and how long to bake them for.

I am also contemplating the Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Buttercream (from a recent post)...which of these two recipes is better for cuppies?

DECORATING QUESTIONS:
I am thinking of either
a) flowers (as inspired by the attached picture by lecrn), or the
b) "swirl like a rose" I have seen in so many gorgeous cupcake bouquets on the site. (valentine rose cupcakes 204)

Questions:
For the flowers, is it necessary to use a cupcake nail? Would you use a turntable? I have made royal icing flowers, but these ones are on a larger scale...any ideas for tips? I love the flowernail templates, but will be unable to use that on the top of a cupcake--do you divide the top of the cupcake before piping petals? What size tip would you use?

For the rose cuppies...which tip, and how to do? (I have tried to figure this one out...my "swirls" from outside in don't have the same look, nor are the ridges close enough together to create the rose-like "petals") Which tip, which angle...I need a general how-to!

Timing:
I am planning on using Peg W's buttercream icing recipe from whatscookingamerica.net. It is as follows: (copied and pasted from site)

Buttercream Icing I
(My favorite version for decorating)

Makes about 3 ½ pounds

2 sticks butter, room temperature
2 cups Crisco shortening
1 teaspoon butter flavoring (Wiltons makes the best flavored version)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I use Wiltons Clear Vanilla)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 pounds powdered (confectioners) cane sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon meringue powder (optional but the texture will be smoother)*
Water as necessary (I usually add about 2 tablespoons but you may need more or less depending on the humidity in your neighborhood)

* You can purchase meringue powder at your local grocery store under the brand name of Just Whites.

In the mixer, mix butter, Crisco shortening, and salt together to incorporate, about 5 minutes on low.

Add almond, butter and vanilla extracts. Mix together well. Add about 1 pound of powdered sugar and the meringue powder and mix.

Add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar at a time and mix until you get the consistency you want.

Add a little milk, a teaspoon at a time, if necessary to thin the frosting. Blend well on low for several minutes.

Would these cupcakes need to be refrigerated? I will not be adding milk

I am planning on baking these cupcakes on Thursday June 4th and decorating June 5/6 for serving June 7--I don't want the guests to get sick.

Sorry for all these seemingly "easy"
LL
LL

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 4

That buttercream recipe seems to have a lot of shortening and butter in proportion to the amount of powdered sugar. Have you tried it before? Is it a favorite of yours? Otherwise, you might try Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream recipe, which you can find here http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

I've made cupcakes with the WASC recipe many times. I bake at 350 because they don't get tall enough at 325.

The roses look like they were done with a swirl from the outside-in with a tip 1M.

Oh, and about cupcake nails...first time I've ever seen one was this year when Wilton came out with it. Personally I think it's just a gimmick icon_biggrin.gif and you'd be fine moving your arm to make the swirl instead of turning the cupcake.

Retrogirl38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Retrogirl38 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:42am
post #3 of 4

You are such a doll! Thank you for your advice...I have been poking around looking at recipes and such for buttercream...I'm too chicken to try IMBC, although I will do so when I have time for error!

Take good care,
Retro

daisyjenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyjenn Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:01am
post #4 of 4

I just made 150 cupcakes today. I used the WASC with vanilla pudding for half and Macmom's chocolate WASC recipe for the other half. They turned out great!! I baked the vanilla ones at 325 for about 20 mins and the chocolate ones for 25 mins. I also made Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream recipe for the first time. It was so creamy and not too sweet. I like that is holds up to hot weather since I live in Vegas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%